SRM X-Pedal Power Meter, MTB SPD

I have my pedals since May without probs.

I charge the battery every 3 to 4 weeks.

The connection with my Fenix 5 is not the most stable. But I blame the Fenix, it works well with my other devices.

The numbers match very well with my Kickr Core.

The only less good thing is that it’s a bit fiddly to engage the charging connectors. It would be good if they could be charged from a power bank but the pedals go into sleep mode.

2 Likes

Probably a pretty impressive bit of kit from a technological standpoint, but man, €1300 for flat pedals just looks very wrong :joy:

4 Likes

I gotta criticize the design a bit.
The pedal itself is very good, but everything around the thread is a little questionable.
The pedals don’t work with crank guards, as these make it impossible to get to the charging port.
Also, the charging is pretty annoying. A lot of fiddling around needed to get them to finally start charging.
Also, the indication light sticks out of the crank arm to the inside. The clearance between the crank arm and the frame is minimal, so this might be a problem for some.
However, it goes as far as touching my chain in the smallest cog and big ring. Definitely not a perfect design.

1 Like

My pedals have just taken a firmware update from 1.4.6 to 1.4.9 and I was just wondering if anyone knew what has changed?

I’ve said it before but will repeat. I have had no problems with these pedals and great service when I’ve been in touch with SRM. The idle battery drain is annoying but on a full charge they do me for several rides. If they need a charge, so does my bike computer, lights, phone, headphones and so much other stuff it’s not really a big deal. I now have a charging station in the garage with a rat’s nest of USB cables. Ahhh…technology!

1 Like

Does your crank have crank boots? I helped a friend recently and the boot kept the charger from making contact. Had to either loosen pedal a few turns or permanently remover their crank boots.
How many hours of ride time in cold temps (around freezing)?

I also had to take to boots off an XO1 crank. Same issue of interference with the charger clips.

1 Like

Review from @GPLama

1 Like

Is anyone having any accuracy probs with the latest update released a few week ago?

Everything was smooth sailing until this update.

I’m contacting support, just checking if anyone have any solution already. My last interaction with them wasn’t the best.

Does anyone know if you’re supposed to use the “Zwiftable” mode with TR?

I have a new pair with new spindles and electronics and can not get the left pedal to connect to TR or my head unit. Super strange, any insight would be helpful.

SRM has just updated the X-Power. Quite happy to have sold mine recently, as they were super annoying.
Hopefully these are much better now!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing!
How come did you end up selling your pairs? What didn’t you like?
Are you using a quarq on your Crux now or a PM9?
Thanks

$1500?? :astonished: they had better be amazing.

1 Like

I never liked the feel of the cleats in the first place. These were my first ever SPD pedals, as I only used crankbrothers before, and man these are „floaty“.
Probably just how these pedals are, but it’s not for me.
From a technical POV, the just were a chore to use.

• sometimes draining power quickly, sometimes not.
  • sometimes charging, sometimes not. Always annoying to get to charge
  • drop outs, going as far as not being to connect them a single time. Had that happened on a 200k ride at like 2k in, great fun.
  • the protruding indication light, that comes close to chain stays etc. Idk.

Yes. I am not using the 43/30 atm, so the Quarq on the 1x or 46/33 is the preferred choice.

That‘d be just too bling for gravel imo :joy:

Have had these for a couple years now and wanted to post an update. In case some alien finds this thread in a thousand years and wonders…

Some pros and some cons:

Pros:

Battery life has been a non-issue. Charge them every couple weeks and it’s a habit to do so. If I run them down (rare) the computer alerts. Have an electrical outlet near the bike storage spot and just connect them every couple weeks.

The charger connectors are slightly finicky, but again, not an issue once you are used to it.

The pedals connect and calibrate quickly and reliably to my Garmin Edge 530.

Very easy to move between bikes. 15mm pedal wrench and 2 minutes to set up with the app.

Cons:

Power pedals are sensitive to the crank length setting. Earlier Garmin firmware might default to 172.5mm cranks even if you set up the X-Power pedals at 175mm in the app at installation. That leads to power readings being incorrect. The latest Garmin firmware seems to fix that. Not an SRM “con” but something to know about.

Had an issue with L/R balance being off. Reinstalling the pedals using the SRM smartphone app seems to fix that but was annoying.

EDIT: Have some oxidation on the spindles. These are essentially polished steel. It’s cosmetic and can be polished out with a little oil, but annoying on expensive kit to see rust. This issue won’t affect newer pedals as SRm now coats the spindles. Cheers to @GPLama for noting this change down thread.

The pedal platform and cleat interface is slightly less good than Shimano SPD XT in terms of clip in and clip out. XTs are pretty much the gold standard for me. EDIT: It appears the pedal body has been updated slightly as well on newer versions of the X-Power.

Take Home

Unlike my SRM road cranks, which have been set-up and forget except for a battery change every few years (I do my own), the X-Power pedals take a bit more feeding and love. But overall they work well and have faired well to date.

Learnings

The biggest learning for me is not a technical one. Rather, it is that I don’t need power on my mountain bike. For long rides it’s nice to see the data, count the TSS and rejoice in calories burned. But the spiky nature of the data is much less useful to me than road bike data. Not a brilliant insight, but if you don’t need mountain bike power, save your pennies. On some long climbs in Park City this year, 60-90 minute efforts, I tried to use the power info to pace. That might have some promise with practice.

Am about 85% happy with these pedals. That’s pretty good considering all the magic at work to get good power measurement out of pedals. But in the end, for trail riding, I wouldn’t be unhappy to go back to non-power measurement riding.

Finally, SRM customer service is excellent. Whenever I’ve had a question, I use the smartphone application to send a diagnostic. The team reviews and responds very quickly and is helpful and informative. Even handling dumb questions kindly and throughly.

$0.02 and as always YMMV

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing!
I was in doubt about getting a pair or going the PM9 route for my gravel bike, and I went with the latter mostly as I wanted to stick to XTR pedals and as you said they are the gold standard
Overall I’m Pretty happy so far and yes I can attest that customer service is spot on as I asked them some questions before purchasing and they were always responsive

1 Like

This was updated in the running change they made to the X-Power about 9 months ago.

3 Likes

Tnx Shane.

Updated the post above.

1 Like