Spend my money!

Alright guys I do not currently race but would like to in the future. I am currently in need of new handle bars and wheels on my current bike (2006 specialized Roubaix). Should I get new equipment or just get a new bike. I worry that if I get new stuff then something else will break whereas with a new bike I wouldn’t have to worry about this stuff. Budget is 1500 for new bike or 500 for new parts??? Thoughts??

Bike.

The change in technology since 2006 has been massive. You’ll notice a big difference in both frame and groupset.

Then save up a bit more and upgrade wheels… never a waste of money.

2 Likes

Go for a new bike. You will be able to find a nice bike for $1,500.

1 Like

Any suggestions on what bike, I might be looking to do some triathalons in the future but mostly recreational riding until then.

1 Like

I’d keep the bike, and put the first money on the wheels. Yes, technology has evolved, but you probably have 10-speed Shimano (I’d guess Ultegra), which is 100% adequate and very comparable to today’s mechanical 11-speed equivalent, brakes that do the work, and so on. Frames have evolved, but not massively - a 2006 Roubaix can do the job. Change parts that require it (chainrings/chain/cassette, brake pads, etc), then put money on the wheels.

Just my $0.02.

4 Likes

At that price point all of the manufacturers are going to have a bike that is pretty evenly equipped. It’s going to come down to which feels the best.

Head to your local big bike shop, spend the afternoon test riding a few bikes, and go with whatever bike you like the most, don’t worry too much about the spec, as the minor differences between groupsets really is minor. Make sure it has 11 speed, make sure it fits properly, and of course, Looks good.

best of luck !

1 Like

Awesome, thanks guys!

When it comes to upgrades, the priority list should be as follows:

1. Any essential items to keep the bike safe and serviceable (brake pads, chain, cables, etc). I’m not sure if your bars fit in this category?
  2. Touch points (saddle, bike fit, shoes) if there is any discomfort. If you are already comfortable, skip this step.
  3. Tires. A good set of supple tires makes the biggest difference to your ride. Speed, grip and comfort.
  4. Wheels. After tires, wheels are the next place to look.
  5. Frame - the benefits you get from a new frame won’t be huge. Compared with a 2006 Roubaix, you will get internal cable routing, the ability to run wider tires, and perhaps something a bit stiffer (while retaining comfort).
  6. Groupset. A new groupset may offer crisper shifting and a wider range of gearing, but it won’t make you any faster. Unless you want to climb serious hills, where the ability to run 32-34t cassettes can really make a difference.

Wheels. $500 on wheels will get you a lighter set of alloy wheels than likely what came stock with the Roubaix, but they wont be hugely faster. A set of mid-depth (~40mm) carbon wheels will be noticeably faster, but will likely be closer to $1000.

My inclination would be to keep the Roubaix, get a quality set of wheels, and some clip-on aerobars. If you are serious about Triathlon, then an entry level TT bike at around $1500 may make sense, while keeping the Roubaix as your recreational ride. At $1500, a new road bike will have a pretty basic set of stock wheels, so you’ll still be faced with the cost of upgrading to quality wheels.

Unless you really want to make the shift to disc brakes, at which point you should get a new bike rather than spending money on upgrading the Roubaix.

Hi there,
I am with most of the suggestion here, get a new bike.
In addition to that, get a very descent pair of tires, which I always consider the most important investment when it comes to cycling.