Specialized Evade II(SEII) owners: Is the SEII too hot for summer temps?

I just went back and looked at a ride I did last July…long gravel ride in western IL, 115 miles, 8.5k elevation and Strava says it was 91* (but I assure you it was hotter than that) and it was definitely humid

used the Evade and it was fine.

2 Likes

As others have already referenced, it all depends on what “hot” means to you. I used it a few times in July/August in the Mobile, AL area and along the Gulf Coast. When it’s 95-98, heat index in the 100s, and humidity at around 100%, every bit of ventilation helps. I eventually bought a more ventilated helmet for truly hot summer rides.

1 Like

MFW I realized I wore the wrong helmet for the conditions:

I really do like the Evade though. I just don’t wear it on long climbs when it’s hot outside.

1 Like

I live in South Georgia, right on the border with Florida…properly hot and humid. I really like my Evade2 regardless of temp, except for the dripping of sweat on my glasses. My POC Central Spin never does this, but sometimes we must sacrifice for the aero gains😂

1 Like

I have an Evade II and in the hotter months I switch to the really airy Prevail II vent. I used the Evade for a full year before deciding to blow another $275 on a helmet. It’s a lot cooler. You can get through it with the Evade, but for sure it isn’t ideal. One thing I love about the Evade is the very low wind noise.

1 Like

Worth checking out the MET Trenta Mips or Trenta 3k Air Mips - both offer a great balance of ventilation and aerodynamics.

2 Likes

I’ve had an Evade I and Prevail I and II in recent years. The Prevail is significantly cooler for me than the Evade, but I haven’t tried the Evade II. Since I live and race in Texas, and I run hot, I felt it more important to have cooling over aero. If I am remembering correctly, the press release stated that the Prevail II was actually more aero than the Evade I. As others have said, it really depends on what conditions you mostly race in and what you are comfortable with. If I didn’t live in Texas I would invest in an Evade II.

1 Like

+1 on the Kask Utopia, rode it side by side with the Evade during a Wyoming heat wave and found the Kask much cooler, and equally “fast” feeling

2 Likes

New evade ii here in chameleon color way and love it. I can see it being a lite too hot compared to prevail ii but it depends. It you are riding in afternoon heat like I am in Atlanta prevail all the way but anything less than 90 I am going with the evade. It is so much more comfortable than any helmet I have ever had with Specialized.

1 Like

The Evade II is super comfy that’s true

Anyone else with the evade II have to tighten straps multiple times during a ride?

1 Like

thanks

1 Like

thanks good info…the heat where i live is hot as well and can hover above 90 but without the humidity

thanks good info to add to my calculus

thanks I will check them out based on the replies I have decided to expand my choices. thanks again

1 Like

thanks for the data point, and the reference to $$ helps put things into perspective in a sport where everything is expensive