Sodium Bicarbonate tastes awful - How do you take it?

Hello guys,

I’ve experimented taking Sodium Bicarbonate with water, but I am pretty sure that in all my life I have never tasted anything that tasted that bad… I mean, just thinking of taking it again it makes me almost puke.

How do you guys take it? Any tips and tricks flavour wise that you could recommend?

MTIA
Miguel Augusto

topical carnosine is the next gen of this! that’s the issue with Sodium Bicarb, it’s really tough to take down.

1 Like

Yeah… the problem is that the flavor (awful) is very strong, so you really cannot try to drink up something like 7-18grams of it diluted in just 250ml of water. I have searched a bit and many guys were stating something like half a teaspoon. I tried this and it is like 1gram of it. Since I couldn’t even get a measure from this, I put 2 teaspoons into 250ml of water. This is much more tolerable. So, for now, this will be my trick… getting the proportions right, until I get up to the total of ~24gr or so, that was calculated as the right amount for my weight " Most research suggests that the most effective dose is 0.3 grams per kg taken 60–180 minutes before exercise". I will also search where I can find this topical carnosine here in Portugal.

note: up to this day, it hasn’t really done much to disturb my gut or anything like that. It’s just the flavor that was really putting me off :slight_smile:

1 Like

So as a 98Kg rider I’m looking at 29.4 grams ? (According to a manufacturer, each teaspoon of baking soda contains 4.8 g) 6 +/- teaspoons seems alot…and I agree, tastes about as awful as a salt lick baked in chalk and sports mix doesn’t mask it much…

Yeah it’s a pretty heinous amount if you’re actually looking for performance benefit. (And that’s assuming you can tolerate it without GI distress)

I usually just mix it all in a small amount of water, take it shot-style, and then slam a glass of regular water to get rid of the aftertaste. Still awful but at it’s over quicker, and I’m a “rip the bandaid off” kind of person.

1 Like

This will sound a bit weird but pinching your nose shut while you’re drinking it helps. Random trick I learned from an episode of brain games awhile back.

It’s still going to have some taste but it should be significantly reduced. Most other things I’ve tried this with are pretty much tasteless but with baking soda it can only help so much.

2 Likes