SILCA's New Aero Racing Sock

Except I wouldn’t want to wear unbreathable waterproof covers during a hot, humid summer.

It’s 4-8 W at 50 kph. Let’s assume the 8W is compared to wearing rolled-down stockings, so its more likely 4W compared to normal socks. Then you’d maybe not ride at 50kph during a long-distance race, so it’s probably more like 1W.

Maybe still worth it regardless? Price is one thing, but it also seems very little hassle, if these are like normal socks.

Where is the aero sock comparison test data

I wonder how many Watts I’ll save in my XCM at 15km/h lol.

I’d still buy them if they had a design I liked. Race socks last a very long time for me :man_shrugging:.

It just seems like a lot of Watts compared to an aero helmet or various other things claiming the same.

And what if you have “aero” legs, do you get less gain from socks?

Would be great to see data. But in a basic sense, I can see why these might be able to give the savings claimed.

Our lower leg is nearly a cylinder in a vertical orientation. That is a terrible shape as far as aero is concerned. Then consider it is constantly moving in space (and changing orientation) relative to the rest of the bike in motion (pedaling).

So, if something like these socks can clean up the air right around that moving cylinder, it I could see how it might make a functional difference as claimed. Surely in the marginal gains territory, and I’d hope people have other parts of their kit locked down prior to this feature, but considering the relatively low cost, it’s probably the not worst way to spend some beer money.

2 Likes

Rule 28 publish data, and it’s wild!

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah they used to have a more comprehensive article, but theirs didn’t perform best until 60kph (I think). Let me dig I have it saved somewhere…. Brb

1 Like

Well I’m sold.

1 Like

The w/£($) makes them a no brainer for racing IMO. I can’t afford a lovely new S5, but yep I’ve definitely got enough for some socks!

3 Likes

D for defeet n for no pinz, pretty sure that K is for Kalas. Most others you can get from the pictures. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nor does kino tape placed in the right place… but I would agree with you, they’re comparing to a standard sock not to a competitive aero sock.

Agreed. Just pointing out that sometimes we see people pick stuff like this while neglecting areas that may well matter more (loose or wrinkled kit, bad tires, etc.) from a pure watt savings perspective.

But these seem like nice socks no matter how you cut it. If you’re gonna have a pair or two for races, it sure makes sense to me.

2 Likes

I think most aero sock look ridiculous, even on lean pros. Even more ridiculous on not so lean not so pros. If it’s the price of going fast, I’m in for races.

The defeet and now these silcas offer a slightly less ridiculous option for club rides and day to day use then :+1:.

Also, let’s not forget the benefits of looking fast. I definitely want to feel fast to go fast, and for some this helps that mindset. Cheaper than the Rule28 skinsuit that’s for sure.

1 Like

One question I have.
These socks being tested at clearly TT speeds: 50, 55 and 60kph are speeds not even pros maintain on an RB at 0 wind and 0% grade for sustained periods of time, when not sheltered.
So why not use overshoes instead? Is a sock faster than an overshoes? Don’t really think it is.

1 Like

4 out of 5 dentists recommend these socks? :face_with_monocle: :smirk:

6 Likes

“Cycling Socks” have a very specific purpose, and that purpose is to cover the difference between your shopping cart total and the ‘free shipping’ value. $30 means going to another website.

Aero socks are nice for group rides. I’ve got the defeet ones. They say “it’s on motherf*$&#@rs” without saying it. I usually yell it anyway tough because aero socks are so stupid that most people wouldn’t think that something so stupid exists and you paid $30 for it. Yelling “AERO SOCKS!!!” as you rock everyone with a random mid-ride sprint sends a certain message.

Keep in mind - 8w @ 30mph is about 2w at 20mph. That’s the difference between the GP5000 you wanted to buy and the other tire you had to buy because they didn’t have GP5000s in stock.

21 Likes

You sound like me when I show up to a group ride and didn’t get the text that I needed my aero helmet to keep up

1 Like

Just when my wallet thought it was safe from Moar Aero Gainz, here I find out there are aero socks to go with:

• Venge
  • Roval CL50s
  • Evade
  • Skin suit
  • Elemnt Bolt

$30 for 4W. Sign me up! More cost effective than buying some 64mm deep wheels!

9 Likes