Shimano Dura Ace 9200 [speculation]

That’s easy: they will be in 2024 :rofl:

1 Like

Any indication of what the driver will be (for the cassette)? Would guess micro spline.

Edit - Tnx for replies. Missed that the gears were starting at 11t. If it ends up being HG driver and can get chainrings for current cranks, this will be going on my favorite frame.

1 Like

Doubtful that they’re going to do that since there is no 10t and that’s basically the only reason XD/R and MS exist

Hardly hear anything from wheel manufacturers and no 10t on the new cassette so I think shimano likely will continue to use HG hub.

1 Like

Given that the pros asked / pushed SRAM to produce pro only chainrings that obviated the need for the 10t cog, I would say there is zero chance Shimano will change to using the microspline/ XDR hub configuration.

The next Tour Magazin Issue will have a test of Shimano DA 9200 and they are apparently testing it already. This is the image in the Magazin:

6 Likes

The image itself isn’t new (see New Shimano Dura-Ace R9200 12-speed groupset spotted at the Baloise Belgium Tour - BikeRadar), but it’ll be good to see what they think of R9200 :).

Some of the larger retailers here in NL have done some rides with Shimano a few weeks ago, also testing the new stuff.

Yep, I saw that already. I got too excited and overlooked it being old news.

Two things about that: Pros also don‘t use the 11-tooth cog on the flats either, nor do they use the 12-tooth cog. Just have a look at the speeds you can reach with either, pros choose chain rings so that their chain line is as straight as possible and gears that are as large as possible when they are cruising. They want to maximize efficiency in the gears they use the most. But I reckon the extra gear they have on a SRAM-equipped bike will still be helpful when going downhill, and the fact that it has 10 teeth won‘t matter much.

The second thing is that most people are not pros, and what is best for pros is often detrimental for ordinary or even very fit riders. The 10-tooth cog is usually only used when you are going downhill, and then I doubt the loss of efficiency matters much for the average rider. What you gain is much larger range, which is something every rider can appreciate. IMHO road bikes are ridiculously overgeared for most riders. I‘m reasonably fit and my lowest gear is a 40:36 = 1.17, and I sometimes have to grind even though I put out a decent amount of power when climbing some hills (think 300–400 W). On the top end (42:10 = 4.2), I can pedal until 60–65 km/h, which is plenty on public roads and all races I have participated in.

4 Likes

IMHO Shimano‘s marketing department has overdone it, leaks have trickled out for months and it seemed designed to stave off design wins of bike makers building more bikes with SRAM groupsets. “We will have 12 speed groupsets soon, too, we promise!”

I‘m not sure what we can expect from Shimano: the ergonomics seem largely unchanged, which is great if you like Shimano Di2 shift/brake levers and bad if you don‘t. I reckon they will include Bluetooth connectivity by default, i. e. they‘ll join the ranks of everyone else. They‘ll have a 12th cog Campag style, so their 11-32 12-speed cassette will be geared like their 11-28 11-speed cassette, just with an extra cog. I reckon they‘ll feature an 11-30 or 11-29 for people who want more closely spaced gearing and don‘t need climbing gears. Lastly, it seems that the crank features a more symmetric crank arm design, which bodes well for power meters. I hope they‘ll have a better story when it comes to power meters, though, because SRAM has been eating their lunch here, the Quark DZero is hard to beat as a crank-based power meter. (Or you could go to Assioma et al. for an equally good pedal-based power meter.)

What I expect Shimano to not have is e. g. a 1x option, flexibility when it comes to gravel/all terrain drop bar bikes, and I am not sure they can deliver on the power meter side either. SRAM has released a very affordable Rival AXS power meter that is as cheap as any left crank arm power meter (e. g. my old 4iiii or a Stages), and their Quark DZero works for their Force 2x, 1x and Red 1x cranks (unless you insist to go with a SRAM Red aero 1x chainring).

So in a sense, I don‘t think we even need to read the reviews. It‘ll be a solid release, but we know what we can expect. People who prefer Shimano groupsets will be happy. People who want Shimano to be less conservative won‘t be. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Uncensored Scott Plasma 6 Ultegra Di2 (2022)

5 Likes

With Ultegra cranks?

Although they looks a bit different

Shimano Ultegra branded wheels, that are 11/12s compatible.

Edit: apparently this is Disc brake only, while de DA wheels are allegedly offered in both variants.

Wait … are they releasing a new Ultegra 12 speeds electric shifting?
Wonder if Ultegra will be wired, then 105 becomes the current Ultegra (11 speed wired electric shifting) and da is the wireless thing…

1 Like

That‘s the big question. Perhaps Shimano will also pivot its higher-end groupsets to electronic-only just like SRAM did. From a financial point of view (for Shimano, not necessarily for us athletes) that certainly makes sense.

Are they both the same semi-wireless? i.e wired to the battery?

Not a triathlete, so fugly :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

[quote=“OreoCookie, post:236, topic:54221, full:true”]
That‘s the big question. Perhaps Shimano will also pivot its higher-end groupsets to electronic-only just like SRAM did. [/quote]
My understanding is that there is not a huge demand for Dura Ace mechanical. Most people wanting that precision and weight (and are prepared to pay for it) also want di2.

Still solid demand for Ultegra mechanical, and will be for many years to come I am sure.

1 Like

Likely, there is:

1 Like

There´s no proof that this Cube Agree will have electronic shifting - could also be mech Ultegra - look at the price point.