Shaving and Thermoregulation, Heat Training, Openers and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 359

What effect does body hair have on evaporative cooling, how to find the minimum effective dose with heat training, should openers depend on your event type or your preferences, and much more in Episode 359 of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast!

Tune in Thursday at 8:00am Pacific!

Youtube Live Video:

Topics Covered in This Episode

• How does body hair affect evaporative cooling?

• How to find the minimum effective dose with heat training?

• Should openers vary depending on discipline or the athlete?

• How to reduce bodily fatigue from long rides

Resources mentioned in this episode:

TrainerRoad Podcast Network

Submit your Question to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Submit your story to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

Submit a topic to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

Per the comments about the podcast length experiment, please see the dedicated topic, vote in the poll and add your comments here:

3 Likes

+1 for respiratory training!

1 Like

I’m hoping there’s some good stuff on the body fatigue from long rides. As it’s spring now and I up the length of my rides I’m feeling the soreness. I’m sure much of it is just acclimation to the distances, but I’m sure there’s much I’m missing.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion, y’all! We won’t be covering respiratory training tomorrow. The YT thumbnail may be cached here on the forum so it may not update for ya on here, but if you click through, it’ll be accurate. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh wow, love the details :grin: You guys sure aren’t afraid to go deep in the weeds, no wonder the podcast is one of the highlights of the week for me​:clap::clap::+1: I wonder if this is more controversial than base layers for snails :joy:

Only one hour? Boo.

11 Likes

I caught the live one late, but there is some apparent format change related to this.

• Might relate to the forum topics complaining about show length in the past?

Edit to update after listening to the format section:

• Jon stated this was an experiment. This is done even in light of the fact that a recent survey they offered showed that the 2 hour-ish length was well liked.
  • He then added that they want feedback on this shorter version, but many hosts tend to like a shorter option (Nate liked 2hr if I heard right, but there was some over-talking so I am fuzzy on this).

Per the comments about the podcast length experiment, please see the dedicated topic, vote in the poll and add your comments here:

AACC Podcast Feedback! Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

1 Like

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: AACC Podcast Feedback!

A post was merged into an existing topic: AACC Podcast Feedback!

Thanks for this. I had no idea this happened. I haven’t listened much in the past few years due to the new length. It used to be my favorite podcast. This will make me give it a try.

1 Like

This may be a first! I didn’t hear @ambermalika say cognitive load this episode. I didn’t get to play the catch phrase drinking game. :frowning_face:

I did hear Amber catch herself with circle back, though.

Just poking fun at you Amber. I love your cheery disposition on the podcast. As Nate stated, it is quite the difference to Chad’s delivery.

I love Chad’s delivery too, just very analytical and matter-of-fact. It feeds my engineer soul!

2 Likes

Some of us are more “folliclely endowed” than others. I’ve always felt that when I do a full-body manscaping in the summer, I feel cooler on those big days in the saddle. I, for one, was excited to see that this topic was addressed— you could say that the hair on my back stood on end.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: AACC Podcast Feedback!

would you say you have “dense fur?” :joy:

2 Likes

It sounds like we need to redo the “who shaves” poll after learning hair makes you both faster AND cooler!

1 Like

Am I the only one who got all :laughing: when Nate was going to tell us about new stuff and then got :cry: when he backed out?

5 Likes