Severe leg pain plyometrics or jumping

Searched to no avail.

Older athlete (turning 57) and this has plagued me for at least a couple of years. If I jump up and land (e.g. plyometrics or playing catch with my wild pitching son), my legs immediately seize/ache in the quadriceps (rectus femoris and vastus medialis) and I can’t move… I can’t run nor can I jump. On the bike I sometimes feel it at the beginning of my ride in terms of stiffness and pedaling squares. The sensation improves as I get the blood flowing. Training-wise I do 10 - 15 hours/week riding depending on the schedule…

Perhaps you’ve had similar experience(s) and can assist? Sure would appreciate some help.

Cheers.

Hoping to refresh this query. I have received suggestions that this might be neurological. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Have you sought care from a physician for this? If not, it is definitely time to do so.

Thanks. Yes I will ask for a referral asap but was hoping that someone on here might have some input.

Many thanks.

1 Like

i have very similar symptoms from running, especially downhill, lunges and occasionally hiking. Anything that causes an impact. My symptoms as well as pressure testing led to a diagnosis of chronic compartment syndrome.