SeaSucker Racks & other Vacuum / Suction Cup Products

For the UKer’s on here these are another option Mountevo

No connection with them other than a satisfied customer.

2 Likes

Sweet, I added a link to the OP at the top. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve taken mine on multiple 10+ hour trips with 2 bikes on the roof on a number of different cars going 100+mph with no issue. I don’t worry about these things at all anymore.

1 Like

My car and my wife’s car seem to work fine. I only had the issue when I had a rental car (Hyundai i30 wagon). Didn’t seem to matter the order I went…but one of the middle ones (suprisingly) just wouldn’t keep full suction. It still had some grip and the other 3 stayed pumped so I didn’t really worry or mess with it too much. I probably could have spent more time to do it but with 3 full cups and only one bike on there I wasn’t too worried about it.

1 Like

yeah, i find this out frequently with my phone mount in my car. Stuck to the grainy leather okay for a while, but eventually falls off and scares the crap out of me.

1 Like

Glad to have found this thread, I am considering a sea sucker, and was cautious about all the marketing. Seems like everyone’s had good experiences here though

1 Like

:joy:

I live 2 hours from Big Bear. Hate waking up ridiculously early to get to races. Miraculously, I’ve been able to cut 45 minutes off the drive. I owe it all to the Seasucker!

7 Likes

Would I be bad off purchasing the RockBros version? I can get the 2-rack mount for around $150 compared to the Sea Sucker’s $500. I see that RockBros has an 88lb capacity (looking at this link from OP: 5 Best Suction Cup Bike Rack Reviews in 2022 - Buying Guide) . Does this really mean anything, and will I be able to tell if I made a bad purchase relatively easily? Should I be any more scared? I travel many times each year with my bike around 300-400miles entirely on an interstate. I have kids, so I’m stopping a few more times than just for gas

1 Like

I went ahead and purchased the RockBros. It was $126.06 with a coupon for the 2-bike rack. According to the SeaSucker FAQs they say to check the seal every time you put your bike on, or stop for gas/restroom/etc, so I felt that if anything was “wrong” with the RockBros then I would know pretty quickly (and made sure they had a return policy). Overall I’ve been pleased with it, it’s simple and sleek and nice to put on any car which has been annoying in the past with hitch or trunk mounts. So far, I’ve driven 1hr - 50 miles with my bike on the top, and 2hrs - 40miles on winding mountain road without even checking the seal and when I arrived at the destination, the indicators were still not showing.

Overnight, the seal has lost a little bit of suction but never has come “undone”. I don’t have a seasucker or alternative to compare it to, but for less than $130 I don’t feel bad about the purchase and reviews on seasucker had similar comments about the seal time. I’ll update here if anything changes, if anyone is interested. Just thought I’d share my experience since it seemed nobody had tried it.

Indicator:

4 Likes

@velocoach Was that coupon person specific? Or can I find it somewhere?

I have the rock bros version. Have used it several times. No issues even at 90 mph.

I forgot to check the clearance when I was pulling into a parking garage. I have civic hatchback. The front suction cups, I put on the sunroof. The rear one I put on the rear window. So pulling into the garage, my bike hit the ceiling of the garage. The bike didn’t break. But the suction cups pulled my sunroof off. Those things do not come off easily! I had to punch the sunroof back into place. It doesn’t open anymore but at least it’s water tight still in rain so not worried about it

We are considering going car free. Our biggest hurdle would be going to races (cycling/tri). We have been thinking that a Thule easyfold would work, long as we rent cars with a tow ball. But would a suction cup roof mount work well on rental cars, or is setup too fiddly for that?

It would work perfect for that.

I use a hitch rack at home most of the time and the Seasucker is now pretty near 100% used for rental (or borrowed) cars.

1 Like

Seems like the perfect scenario for this.

who thought they’d get into a deep dive on suction w/ Chad today?!

1 Like

I’m watching this topic, but trying to keep my comments to a minimum unless there are specific questions I can help with. (out of my norm… I know :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

I found an unexpected use case for my Seasucker during a recent move. I wanted to bring a couple bikes without taking them apart but was facing a rapidly-shrinking space in the truck with which to do so, and I was only bringing the truck so didn’t have a car to put them on. The Seasucker stuck to the wall to serve as a bike rack for the 4-hour trip, and it kept the bikes more firmly in place than they would have been in almost any other configuration—no bumping into each other, jostling around, etc. Even over the uneven surface of the wall decal, the cups all held full pressure. I’ve been using this thing for close to 5 years now, and I’m still impressed by how functional it is.

(FYI: my wife is a sculptor and uses insulation foam as a material, hence all the foam)

7 Likes

Oh come on!!! If there was ever a thread on ‘IT Project Management in large consulting organizations as it pertains to cycling’ I’d be all over it.

2 Likes

I was thinking along the lines of lots to protect the bikes :wink:

This is what I would do in my Sprinter…could even attach to the ceiling if needed.