Hitchless Bike Rack

Since I do all of my training on the bike on my trainer indoors, I haven’t really had the need for a bike rack. When I’d travel to races, I’d just remove my wheels and lay my bike frame down (drive side up) and put it in my car. However, I’m looking to get a nicer bike and am looking at bike racks.

I drive a Subaru Crosstrek without a hitch so I’m looking at getting a hitch-less rack vs adding a hitch and getting a nicer rack. Anyone have experience with the hitchless racks? Are ones that sit on top of car vs strapped to hatch better/worse?

If your car has roof rails already then cross rails and a Thule bike carrier would work well.

I’ve used Sea Suckers for the last 6 years and they have done everything I’ve needed them to. Easy to swap between cars as and when needed and store in a cupboard off the car when not in use.

Depending on the size of your bike the Crosstrek might be able to handle and ‘insider rack’. Pretty simple to make - a bit of wood, some rubber mat, and some truckbed type rack fixings. Totally secure and keeps the bike out of highway spray, bugs etc.

5 Likes

Sea Sucker, or just out a hitch on. I installed a hitch on my Honda Accord Coup and Ford Escape for less than $160 each.

I done something similar in my Tahoe. I also bought a roll of absorbent mat (like you see in a garage for oil spills) that I put under the bike in the case of rainy wet days, this way it drips on to the mat and gets soaked up instead of pooling on the rubber mat.

IMG_1597

5 Likes

That mat is a great idea.

I second the Seasucker. Expensive. But future-proof. Used to attatch it to a Jetta. Now it goes on the rear hatch of a Ford Escape. Unless we pull our trailer and then I mount it on the roof. I also use it on the back window of my pick up to hold the bike in the bed.

Used it on a few rentals and on friend’s cars. Easy to travel with and will fit on nearly anything. Zero concerns about holding a bike. All those vacuums are nearly overkill. Super resilient.

2 Likes

I use a Saris Bones to take my bike to races etc. I like it, it’s super easy to take on and off, and the bike is really secure. I’ve only used it on my one car so I don’t know how easy it is to swap around between cars.

1 Like

The Bones is super versatile as well. I used to sell them and never came across a vehicle it wouldn’t fit. Should fit nearly every sedan, wagon, or SUV. Any "conventional* vehicle.

1 Like

+1 for the Sea Sucker. Use for road and mtn bikes and on different cars.

Yes two years later. Did you staple the wooden board to your vehicle? Is it removable or do you just not notice it when chairs are folded up? This looks like a great fit for what I need. Cheers

Time flies ;-). The board is not attached to the car. The rubber matting that I stapled to both sides of the wood plank stops it slipping around when I’m setting up but what holds everything in place are the tie down straps. When not in use I just store the whole thing in the shed.

1 Like

Ha! Yes it does. Thanks for the info. This looks great and I’ll probably try to copy it. Wooden plank with the pad to prevent movement, the skewer attachments, and the tie downs shown. That keeps everything in place?

Exactly.

1 Like

If you have a garage - be warned about the roof rack. Many a bike has died by the owner driving into the garage with the bikes on top.

1 Like