Saris H3 Discussion/Issues

Mine also has the 5 or so second power lag on intervals changing

The code csdealdd-40 expired on the Saris site which made the H3 $486. Lowest I can find is $547 on Amazon. Cant decide between the H3 or wait for the Hub
my last smart trainer was a Kickr Snap which was replaced 3 times in 3 months in 2018. Been using a Kinetic rock n roll with a power meter on the bike, no problems at all in the last 3+ years
I hope my foray into the direct drive trainer world is semi problem free
I will probably keep the old Kinetic in the room just in case.

I bought an H3 with the last deal, so I can’t confirm that this works personally, but I saw that someone posted on Reddit that the code SCG-50-BLACKHAWK is good for 50% off on the H3 direct from Saris. I don’t know whether that influences your decision at all. I went through a similar decision making process (H3 vs Hub or Volt) and personally felt like the H3 was a better fit for my needs. I use a decent amount of ERG mode, and the H3 gets great marks there. I also got the MP1 discounted with the same previous code, and I was interested in a rocker platform, so that also impacted my decision. Given the potential firmware issues with the Hub, I personally feel like the H3, which has been around for a few years now to work through teething issues, is a better option if you can get it for sub-$500.

Thanks
it does work
makes it $400!

Update: Saris have confirmed with their freehub manufacturer there are issues with installing Shimano 12 speed cassettes. According to them, they were unaware of this issue until I pointed it out.

12 speed compatibility was the headline feature of the H4. As was ±1% accuracy, which has also eluded me in testing.

smh

8 Likes

Ouch, not a great start for their “new” trainer :stuck_out_tongue:

I am hoping Saris can right their ship, but stuff like this is not a promising sign for them to get back into shape.

A similar issue happened to me 5 years ago
 Increased thru-axle compatibility was a headline feature of the Kickr 2017, but Wahoo’s dual-sided adapter was too thick to fit my 2015 Domane and they were unaware until I reported it. Now if they would only make an XDR freehub for that model, I wouldn’t have to waste time trying to sell it.

Yeah, that kinda tracks with their situation TBH. Likely trying to force out the H4 quickly to try and generate revenue to gain the interest of potential suitors.

Just stunning though that they never bothe3d to check and see if a 12 spd cassette actually worked.

1 Like

Has anyone seen their H3 produce red dust? Tried reaching out to Saris but after like 2 weeks they sent me a generic copy paste email that was like “Please tell us your shipping address, the serial number, describe the problem
 etc” Which suggests they didn’t even look at my original email.

Now that is weird! Hope you get it sorted out. You take it apart yet?

Nope still riding it, haven’t received a second response from Saris since I sent them all the requested info and the picture.

hasn’t SARIS been sold recently due to them going bankrupt? I wouldn’t expect a response any time soon if that is the case. I have one of these as well and will go with one of the other ones when this one eventually fails

Is it possible this is from the belt? Seems like a misaligned belt would be likely to produce dust with excessive wear. Maybe open it up and check how to belt is seated?

I haven’t opened up my H3 to check, but if I remember right the stock belt on my original Hammer was red.

Saris got back to me and said its the belt, I think they are gonna send me a replacement but it must be misaligned to all of the sudden start getting ate up like it seems to be, the squeaking is annoying to but comes and goes, thought it was my chain at first, kept waxing the bajezus out of it and I was like “ARGGGHHH why won’t you stop squeaking?” lol.

Hopefully the send some instructions on how to change and align the belt.

Your seat post is laughing in the background.

1 Like

I was reading though all posts but I do not have any clue, if a Shimano 12 speed cassette for my Canyon Endurace CF SL8 Di2 with Shimano Ultegra Di2 R8150 will wotrk with the Saris H3.

I thought to buy the Saris H3, install a Shimano 11 speed cassette for my current gravel bike with Shimano GRX 2 x 11 and then (for my nee Canyon Endurace) change to a 12 speed cassette. Will that work and how will it work?

Hey all,

I use Assioma dual-sided power meter pedals with PowerMatch with my H3 in ERG mode, and accustomed to the usual spikiness (i.e., oversteering above & below the target) that goes along with PowerMatch. That’s why I’ve been surprised a few times in the last few weeks when actual power has been locked onto the target power exceptionally well. It locks on so well that I can’t even get it to deviate by significantly varying my cadence. That said, this ideal ERG mode behavior seems to be the exception, not the norm. I’d love to be able to get it to behave this way ALL the time, but can’t figure out what variables are contributing to the better PowerMatch behavior. Does anyone else experience this same difference - PowerMatch sometimes performing very well and at other times super spiky? I’ve attached screenshots from a ride I just completed where the first half of a 1h15min Zone 2 interval was VERY locked onto the target, but then begins oversteering and becomes spiky during the last half. The second screenshot is intervals.icu’s view, with the y-axis scaled to make the difference more noticeable. Anyone out there have similar experiences and/or know of things I can do to make PowerMatch consistently reproduce the smoothness it did during the first half of this ride? I have already tried messing with the trainer sensitivity setting, and have decided that it doesn’t really make a difference, so I just leave it set to the default (0.5).

Thanks!

I suspect these are power drops from your pedals, which depend on signal interference and are thus hard to predict.

I went from an H2 (the wife could tell I was on the trainer before she opened the door from the garage, and the pain cave was 2 rooms away) to an H3, and it was freakishly quiet. I can hear the drive train!

Cadence issues? Yeah, still there to some point. Some very minor power issues too, but considering that it’s so quiet, it’s a HUGE improvement. Massive! And the price makes it a real deal for a trainer that I think could sell at a higher price point.

But don’t beat the H3 too hard over some cadence issues as the 2T I have also has some cadence issues as well, with certain bikes and crank choices. It’s been bad enough for some 2T owners that they have taken to sticking pieces of steel on the inside of their crank arms to provide more substance for the trainer to sense.

IMO the H3 has a lot going for it, and for a trainer choice there certainly are a lot worse possibilities.

1 Like

No, it won’t. GPLama did a review of the H4 and ripped Saris for their statements saying it was compatible, and the actual fact is it’s not. Check out his H4 review. The H3 and H4 aren’t the only trainer BTW that claim to be Shimano 12-speed compatible that aren’t. He brings the goods on those that aren’t.