Saddle sore woes

This is exactly what I was going to say! I moved up from S to M and spent some money on Assos bib shorts that have a softer chamois. The chamois needs to be wedged in the bum crack to keep your cheeks apart. If you have a hard chamois on small bib shorts it pushes your cheeks together and your skin will rub and chafe.

This sounds unappealing but give it a try. Wear two pairs of bib shorts. I battled with saddle sores for long but since doing this out of desperation I have never had a problem since. You might need to lower your saddle slightly.

1 Like

Wow, lots of things for me to try. Thanks for the ideas!

Not all rocker plates are created equal, I suppose. And there is still a big difference between that and riding outside.

I as well do find using alcohol on the area seems to keep them away or just lets them heal quicker.

Any sort of hair removal in that area for me causes funky acne. Mostly due to hair follicle problems. I’ve had a history of hair follicle infections all over my body so definitely something to be careful with. Regardless of the method of removal. The problem (at least for me) is the hair not growing back through the skin properly once it’s been shaved.

3 Likes

This might just be just an Australian thing, but Tea Tree Oil works really well post ride on any saddle sore areas for me. I use it neat, only on the small specific problem areas. Be careful though, using it neat is not generally recommended as it can burn, especially if you get it on the “wrong area” down there.

1 Like

Assos uses Euro sizing…Moving from S in a brand like Pearl Izumi or Pactimo is roughly the same thing as a M in Assos.

Are you suggesting that US people are FAT asses? :flushed:
:joy:

I find it funny when my wife order clothing from Amazon (really China vendors) and the size is XL (while she wears US S/M things).

I personally prefer Euro sizing better… but thats because i barely clear 5’6.

I just saw this article and believe it accurately describes what I encountered in the past and occasionally now. Do you think this describes your issues accurately?

3 Likes

I was reading this thread earlier today and decided to take action after reading all the excellent tips.

I seem to get by with a bit of saddle soreness on the trainer, but Z2 and anything over 90 mins is usually not fun… Well I’ve just started TBHV, and it found me out after 2 rides. Rather than throw in the towel, I’m trying to see it as a chance to dial things. Another bad one would’ve had me on the edge of quitting though, so I took drastic action:

• saddle nose angled up a couple degrees
  • shorter stem, back to stock -6° 110mm in place of -17° 130mm (which is what I ride on the road)
  • new chamois cream - Squirt instead of Muc-off who have changed to a thinner (worse) consistency

Although my butt ached from sitting on the saddle for 2 hours today, I didn’t notice any rubbing or real pain. I think reducing reach and tilting the saddle back has finally got me as close as I’ve ever been to a sustainable position. Let’s hope my soreness heals up now!

I’m also looking for a mat to put under the trainer to allow a little more squish (rocking) than my concrete floor.

1 Like

You’re using Squirt and Muc-off as chamois cream? :flushed::joy:

2 Likes

what’s helped me is changing to doublebase gel over chamois creme, and spending a small fortune on assos bibs. I seem to get on best with them

1 Like

I recently bought Assos. Great pad, although I prefer the wider pad in Rapha, even though it’s not quite as nice.

1 Like

I don’t get it?
Edit: just got it :sweat_smile:

Are you using this gel in the same manner as chamois cream or as a skin conditioner after

same manner

Ha my topic…
Saddle sores are mainly caused by friction. Putting on a crème or trying another chamois will not always (or never) solve the real problem, some relief if your are lucky.

I ride 15 years and I never really had a 100% feeling on the bike down there. For the price of the saddles and bikefits I’ve tried and done (based on recommendations of LBSs, friend etc…), I could probably have bought a few bikes more. Fancy ones. Chamois brand this, crème brand there, nothing really helped. I got saddle sores as big as coins, neck and shoulder issues and prostate irritation.

Until…

I got fitted by a 74 year old without any equipment like Guru and other fancy stuff. He simply took a ruler out and took measurements of me. Then after 10 minutes he said; “That’s it, leave your bike here and come back tomorrow”. :thinking:
Or the man was totally insane or a genius, I never was on the bike within his presence, not a single second.
So the next day I went back to collect my adjusted bike resulting in:

• saddle height 2 cm higher
  • stem lengte from 80 mm to 130 mm and slammed down 6°
  • seat 4 cm back
  • handlebar drop 2 cm lower
  • new saddle (Sella Flite, old as the street design) without a cut. (I always had cut, convinced this was always better)

I asked: “Shouldn’t I try it first?” He looked as he didn’t fully understand the question. He said: “Euh…this is the position for you, no more no less”.

This all, is 3 months ago and I am without any discomfort whatsoever and I’ve put a good amount on the new postion. Problems went away after 1 ride.

Moral of the story: get a good bike fit! No new saddle or chamois will solve the base of the problem, a good fit. I tried to figure out what his procedure is but I didn’t find it. Yet.
How to find a good bike fit? Search for a sports doctor preferably one with links to the peloton and asked there for a good fitter. That’s how I found him. If I was just googling around again I probably lost another 200 $ on another “no so good bike fit”.

So here you have it, I solved saddle sores with a bike fit. Not to mention, the efficiency in power that is likely optimized but that’s another post.

8 Likes

Sounds like he made you roll your hips forward and sit on a different part of you. Hence no more rubbing at the spot that caused all the problems.

3 Likes

That is totally correct.