Run vs bike focus for Ironman athletes

Hey folks,

This winter I am planning to keep almost all running easy and focus on building ftp through sweet spot and sustained power plans.

I wondered if other ironman or tri athletes have used or plan to use a similar method and how this has impacted their run speed and strength.

I realise a more balanced plan might be textbook, I just find the impact of intense running sessions too much as I have a physical job, I’d also really like to lift bike threshold this winter :slight_smile:

Thanks for any insight :+1:

I always did low intensity running for almost all my IM training…I was constantly battling running injuries (you name it, I had it…achilles, ITB, plantar fasciitis, stress fracture, etc). So I ran low intensity, but I ran almost everyday. I usually ran at least 6 times a week, often 7…some runs were ridiculously short, sometimes less than 1 mile. But through consistency, I gained volume.

My strength was always my bike, so I never worried about raising my FTP too high…I mostly concentrated on volume so that I could come off the bike fresh and ready to run. Rather than use my strength to throw the hammer down, I used it to save my energy for the run.

If you aren’t familiar with it, check out the BarryP running plan. I have a link if you want it, but since it goes to another forum, I don’t know if it is OK to post here…if anyone wants it, just let me know. It is pretty simple…run six days a week of different lengths. 3 short runs, 2 medium runs, 1 long run. I would do the short runs on my bike days (but not necessarily bricks), the medium runs would be on days when I also swam and then my long run was on the weekend.

3 Likes