Rocker Plate Users: Did it help your saddle sores?

I made my DIY “rocker plate” from motorcycle tire and tube like this. It’s probably one of the simplest design you can have, and you can adjust the ‘suspension’ simply by adjusting the pressure of the tire.

It helped me got through the first few months of indoor cycling back then during the start of the pandemic.

4 Likes

A. Genius. B. I’ve never seen a tyre that small. C. from where did you procure it?

I forgot the exact size of the tyre, but I guess it’s for small underbone motorcycle that is very common here (in Indonesia). I bought a generic one from an e-commerce site.

To answer the original question, my rocker plate did help with saddle sores. I still need to make sure the bike is level, I’m wearing good shorts, and use chamois cream for anything over 45 minutes. But the rocker plate (vibration damper and inflatable ball version) helps a lot.

3 Likes

I found a gardeners kneeling pad at Lowe’s. I cut it in half so I had two pieces. I cut one of those pieces in half. The two smaller pieces go under lateral supports of my trainer and the larger one goes under the rear support. I put two small rugs under the front wheel block to level the bike but it also allows the front of the bike to move as well.
The foam will compress and the you might as well be riding on concrete so every 3-4 sessions I just move the foam a little bit so the supporting points are on fresh foam. I do the same with the small rugs.
This was just so I could try out the concept of the rocker boards allowing motion. It worked so well for me that I didn’t feel the need to make or buy a rocker board. Its also very low cost and easily replaced when the foam is worn out.

4 Likes

Would you mind taking a pic?

I built the original rockit launcher, with 3 broken ribs, mainly with off cuts. It wasn’t that difficult really. I wasn’t particularly having issues, but did provide more comfort.

1 Like

I will a little later this morning. Its not set up at the moment but will be pretty soon.

1 Like

1 Like

Wait that’s from a knee pad? That looks massive. I was picturing literal pads you strapped to your knees? What is the Witchery?

Looks something like this? About 1.5” think or should I double up?

2 Likes

That’s the right type of product. Stacking or not will depend on exactly how soft or hard the foam is. They come in a range of cushioning, so it’s hard to recommend anything specific unless you get the same exact pad that someone already used.

2 Likes

The ones I bought are only 3/4” thick but yes thats basically the product.

2 Likes

To address your original question, I didn’t go the cheaper DIY route since I was able to snag the MP1 for 40% off, but I was having sit bone pain on the trainer that made longer rides really uncomfortable. I tried adjusting my fit to match my outdoor bike (which feels totally comfortable and has been fit to me professionally) and wearing my best bibs that work great for me outside (Cuore Gold) on the trainer, but it wasn’t until I got the rocker that I really noticed a difference (the bibs helped a bit but not as much), and that difference was noticeable almost immediately. I think adding a rocker is definitely worth a shot, and the DIY options are definitely the cheaper way to go. If I was a more patient person, I would’ve absolutely considered that because the pre-made options are expensive for sure, but the MP1 at 40% off was worth not having to invest the time or getting annoyed while trying to build a DIY option for me personally. I’m absolutely pro-rocker now though having used one, as it made a big difference in comfort for me.

2 Likes

Thank you. Maybe because it’s end of season here one will go on sale. In the interim I’ll try a knee pad foam mat as others have suggested.

If you were considering a rocker plate purchase, do you know what your budget would be?

My personal favorite, the InsideRide E-Flex has a Core compatible version for $450 USD. It has leaning and fore-aft motion which is about the least expensive option I know that has both. Their updated front end is even better but will be some amount more than that (not heard a final price yet). The E-Flex is also the smallest to offer that level of motion as well. It’s got a lot of great features for the price.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s well beyond my budget, especially considering I don’t know if it will help, or whether I’ll still be into the indoor training method six months from now.

I’ll try the knee pad. Then the DIY mini trainer version then take it from there.

1 Like

@mcneese.chad no pics on the IR website so asking in case you know… the InsideRide E-Flex page has two different models, one for Kickr and one for the Core. Have you seen both? I’ve listed mine + Kickr 2017 on Craigslist but if no serious offers come in then I’ll just hook up the grocery store bike, like last year, or consider converting to a Core/Volt style trainer if possible. I’ll call IR and ask as well.

Edit: Pulled up the E-Flex Core user manual:

very different attachment methods for Kickr vs Core.

1 Like

The fact that the E-Flex only rocks when you turn the handlebars seems like a terrible idea that misses the point of rocking motion entirely. That is, you want to bike to move on its on accord somewhat. The name of the game is minimizing pressure points and spikes.

I am a little disappointed that the Kickr Bike and other indoor bikes don’t have fore/aft and rocking.
It would certainly help justify their prices over a used bike and a trainer.

The Inside Ride E-Flex moves / leans as you pedal. It doesn’t take conscious effort to induce the lean like you are implying. At least for me when I had it (prior to the switch to a smart bike) the E-Flex made a massive improvement in ride quality, especially for longer 2 to 3+ hour endurance rides

1 Like