Road to Mount Washington Hill Climb 2022

Yes, Drake Deuel with a monster FTP is running 36F-34B as his lowest gear….

1 Like

Mt. Washington | Strava Ride Segment in Gorham, NH

Average 12% with 21% just before the end.

1 Like

True. With an extender you should also be able to fit a 11-36 cassette. :slightly_smiling_face:

How do Age and Gender Adjusted Results work with an event like this?

Congrats @SeanHurley, for finishing one spot ahead of me in our age group. :partying_face:

1 Like

I had no problem running an 11-36 with a compact on a shimano mid-cage derailleur. It’s rated for 34 but :woman_shrugging:. No wolf tooth required.

1 Like

:+1:
Shimano is fortunately quite conservative. I think the OP is running SRAM Red. Not sure how much slack he has.

1 Like

Congrats everyone to completing the hill climb.

I ended up putting on a bigger derailleur and ran a 32 casette. Needless to say, I was very thankful for it.

Race went to plan and am pleased all things considered: became a dad in Feb, had a bachelor party two weeks ago, a wedding a week ago and flew back from europe on Sunday.

Averaged 320 watts and placed 8th. Happy with the power. I have to learn to accept that I am not getting faster. In 2020 I think I could have pushed 10 watts more and 2kg less body weight. But hell, I did not have a beautiful wife and daughter then :slight_smile: and that wins every day!!!

Ride on

12 Likes

Your power numbers, especially given your weight, are still very impressive and not something that need to be qualified. And besides, perhaps you do manage to improve until next time! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@OreoCookie , thanks. I appreciate the compliment. As mentioned, I am super happy with the result, especially considering where I am at in life now. Biggest dream would be to ride with my girl when she is old enough and be able to keep up with her!!! That is what I am training for :muscle:

1 Like

You are only 32, so I don’t think you have peaked yet.

Same here! I’m super glad that our kids are growing up with two physically active parents.

Thank you! Congrats to you too! Long, sustained climbs over about 30 minutes have never been a strength of mine, and I considered my result a big personal success. Shout out to training specificity!

1 Like

As others have alluded to, the Mt Washington hillclimb is a special case. It’s only open to bikes for the event, and you’re not allowed to descend it (it’s a challenging descent even for cars). Every competitor needs to arrange for a ride down in a vehicle, and since you’re not descending on-bike, extreme weight-saving modifications including one brake are relatively common, though a little less so over the last few years with the advent of gravel gearing. Unless something unusual happens, the only braking you do during the event itself is when you come to a stop from around 5 mph after the finish line.

4 Likes

you beat jeremy powers, so basically you’re good enough to be a retired pro lol

maybe I ought to sign up for next year for a different goal, need to drop 10ish lbs to really get that 4.1-4.2 level I think would be best for me

1 Like

JPows was laughing, chatting, and enjoying the scenery when I passed him. I’m jealous of his hard-earned ability to prove nothing and enjoy the ride!

1 Like

Sorry it’s off topic, but if youre in this neck of the woods and like gravel…you need to check out this ride that JPow and team put on for a great cause!

3 Likes

The Grand Fundo has been on my to-do list for many years, and now that I’m relocated (finally) back to the Northeast it’s most definitely in the cards for next year.

1 Like

Awe-inspiring result. Kudos!

3 Likes

Definitely looks worth the trip down from VT! Putting that on my list for next year.

1 Like

welcome home!

1 Like