Recovery Drinks

Thatā€™s not entirely trueā€¦ the Skratch recovery mix has dextrose added, which should be good to get sugar back into the muscles quickly (high glycemic index, easily digestible) and lactase added (for removing lactose from the milk product which is problematic for some people).

Having said all that, I have never used the Skratch recovery mix - so Iā€™m not advocating it. Just pointing out that itā€™s not the same as chocolate milk.

2 Likes

EFS Ultregen is amazing. When I take that, especially everyday when doing hard workout I wake up the next day feeling ready to rock and roll.

Nothing like smashing your face through a brutal workout and looking forward to a nice big glass of ice cold chocolate milkā€¦ only to find your kids left a few drops at the bottom of the quart that of course is still in the fridge :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Soy chocolate milk blended with a banana and ice. Protein and sugars replaced. Canā€™t go wrong with 40-50g of sugar mixed in a water bottle if the cupboard is empty, assmuming you have table sugar haha. For the longer Saturday workout I have an electrolyte sachet mix as well as I sweat so much. No need to be spending big money on these post workout drinks I feel anyway.

1 Like

Does anyone here use the Infinit Nutrition products for recovery? A few friends have recommended Infinit to me and Iā€™m considering it. Iā€™d be curious to hear anyoneā€™s thoughts.

I used the Gu brand Recover drink mix. Really liked it, was great ratio, mixed easy, one of the best tasting out there. Then they discontinued it and replaced it the Roctane recovery, which has a different ratio of Prot:Carb, tastes worse, and costs twice as much.

Really miss that, would have stocked up had I known it would simply disappear.

Still looking for something thatā€™s a direct replacement, but have been using SiS recovery mix I had leftover from a previous trial, with some sucrose added to get to 4:1.

Hey,
Any suggestions for a recovery shake?
Iā€™ve been using Sis Rapid Rego until now and just wondered if there is better,

Thanks a lot, Tom

1 Like

Sorry for being a killjoy, but I would consider if you really need a recovery drink. I think the recovery drink is just a treat for most. Would you have a recovery drink if it tasted bad? Probably not. I understand it for people who do a lot of volume or more than one workout per day and need to take in a lot of calories and as soon as possible after a workout. I believe that most people would be better off having a more balanced meal of real foods after a workout which gives you also some nutrients on top of the protein and carbs even if it takes a bit longer before you can have it.

1 Like

chocolate melk

I utilized Pure Protein Shake, itā€™s satisfying refuel my body. Drinking protein shakes remains a popular way for active grown-ups and athletes to get their protein and refuel muscles after exercise. Consuming protein helps keep your body in muscle protein balance.

1 Like

Iā€™m training pretty hard 12-15 hours per week alongside a physical job and consume no processed food, thus for me a recovery shake is a very welcome helping hand in progressing and maintaining consistency

1 Like

I can give you some recipes. You can try them :blush:

1. A peanut butter smoothie
Components:
1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
1/3 cup 2% cottage cheese
1 tbsp pudding (without sugar)
2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 ice cube
1/4 cup water

Preparation:
put in a blender: flax seeds, cottage cheese, peanut butter, protein powder, pudding, ice and water. Mix all ingredients for 1 minute until you get a liquid mass.

macronutrients:
Calories: 375 kcal
Protein: 37 g
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Fat: 19 g

2. Almond coconut smoothie
Components:
1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
1 cup almond milk
6 almonds
1 tablespoon of coconut flakes
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
A few ice cubes

Preparation:
Add all ingredients to the blender except almonds and mix for 1 minute until smooth. Then add the almonds and blend for another 15 seconds.

macronutrients:
Calories: 250 kcal
Protein: 30 g
Carbohydrates: 11 g
Fat: 9 g

3. Pistachio smoothie
Components:
1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder
2 tablespoons of shelled pistachios
1 tablespoon of almonds
1/2 cup frozen spinach
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 teaspoon honey
A few ice cubes

Preparation:
Add all the ingredients to the blender and mix for 1 minute until you get a liquid mass.

macronutrients:
Calories: 320 kcal
Protein: 18 g
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Fat: 10 g

Let me know if you like it! :blush::biking_woman:t3:

5 Likes

For me itā€™s a smoothie! Kale with Banana
Ingredients

• 2 Kale leaves
  • 1 Banana Ripe banana
  • 1 Apple
  • 1 Celery
  • 1 Kiwi
  • 0,5 lime juiced
  • 1,5 cups water

Here - Kale Banana Smoothie
Delicious!

Iā€™m lazy so I go with a SiS REGO Rapid Recovery shake. I always feel good after it, and like garbage when I donā€™t have one so :man_shrugging:

Get more sleep, drink lots of water, taking protein pre or post-workout and superfood smoothie are all some good sources for you to recover.
You need to drink healthy superfood smoothie for high energy workday.

1 Like

Anything under 90 minutes or so Iā€™d probably just have water unless Iā€™d done the workout on an empty stomach in which case Iā€™d have something a bit more nutritious.
Longer workouts Iā€™d either have some food with water, and/or Iā€™d make a smoothie (banana, milk, frozen berries, spinach, maybe some protein powder and/or peanut butter, whatever else is in the fridge!).
And a piece of advice, almost ruined my blender trying to crush nuts, so be careful when adding 'em to the smoothie.

Thanks for sharing! Tried this recently, and liked it.
The trickiest part was to add almonds, as Iā€™ve stated above - they were too hard for my blender (specs, 800W just in case) to handle. Next time Iā€™ll use coffee grinder.

1 Like

I canā€™t say Iā€™ve read all posts but the ones I did read only focused on the ride they just did and was recovering from. I think itā€™s very important to think about next ride. I ride every day, 12-22 hours a week and have a straight forward thinking when it comes to recovery drinks:

After a hard/long ride: protein
When a hard/long ride is upcoming: carbs

Therefore no protein after a recovery ride but if I have 5 hours of zone 2 the day after I take the carbs. Back to back hard/long rides I have protein and carbs.

I use flavoured whey protein powder and maltodextrine as my carbohydrate source. I usually but what I need from bulkpowders which is waaaaay cheaper than buying from SiS, High 5, Maurteen etcetera. It also tastes great in my opinion.

1 Like

What maltodextrine powder do you like/trust?

I make a pumped up chocolate milk:
I premix and just use the pre-made powder.

Ovomaltine (2 table spoons)
Cacao powder (1 Ts)
hemp protein (15g)
whey protein (20g)

And i mix this with date syrup (1ts) and oat milk (1/2l - i used to make mine but now just use shop boughtā€¦ :expressionless: )
520 kcal, 76g carbs, 12.5g fat, 24g of protein

This is usually followed 30 to 60 mins later by my triple B:
thick slice of brown Bread, 50ish g of Biltong and a Banana