For a long time I’ve been using lore and cycling history as a fueling and recovery strategy. Ride fasted on coffee. Just don’t eat a whole lot on or off the bike. I’ve been following the TR podcast discussions about fueling and recovery. The advice to fuel with carbs during workouts has been nothing short of transformative. I think Nate said something to the effect that it’s like being given a “cheat code.” But I think I’m almost 100% certain I’m screwing something up as far as recovery goes.
Bear with me, math is not my strong suit.
So as an overview:
- Amber was advising to try to do a 1:1 replacement for rides/workouts.
- Basic idea is to get a 1:1 replacement when tallying up in-ride fueling, and post-ride recovery.
- Amber mentioned her recovery drink is just gatorade mix and Tera’s Whey.
- I’ve read that for recovery, the recommended amount of protein is .3-.4g per kg of body weight. But Chad mentioned on the podcast that “masters” athletes should get more protein–doing a little internet research, I came across the number .6g per kg of body weight.
So here are my takeaways:
- I should take .6g per kg of body weight in post-ride recovery.
- For the sake of argument, let’s say we’re using Amber’s magic elixir that’s Gatorade and whey, and we mix them in a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein.
- I weigh 87kg.
- Optimal post-ride recovery at .6g per kg at 3:1 carbs:protein is:
- 156g carbs to 52g protein
- A big scoop of Gatorade powder is 66g of carbs and 240 cal.
- A scoop of whey has 11g of protein and 55 cal.
- In order to hit .6g per kg and maintain 3:1 ratio I need to mix up 4.75 scoops of whey and 2.37 scoops of gatorade mix.
- On the back of the gatorade container it says 2 scoops make ½ gallon of gatorade.
Example Ride (1.5 hours @ 1100 cal)
- 1 cliff shot 15 min before ride (110 cal)
- 3 cliff shots in an 1:30 ride at 20 / 45 / 70 (330 cal)
- 2 water bottles of the recovery drink described above at 415 cal each (830 cal)
- Total “ride” calories is 1270 for a net positive of 170 cal.
So… at the end of the day, given a) the optimal .6g of protein per kg of body weight; and b) the optimal 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein, then I’m looking at drinking a half gallon of recovery drink for 830 calories after every 1.5 hour TR workout?
Am I completely off on this stuff? Like I said, the fueling during workouts seems to help a lot, but the recovery stuff seems pretty extreme.