Raced Sick Today

Short version…huge mistake!

Longer version…There is a nasty virus going around my neck of the woods (not the flu) that is lasting 2-4 weeks. I’m at the end of week 2 and was really looking forward to a three day race this week end. Today was the ITT. Short, maybe 23.5k (30 minutes+/-). Convinced myself I was ok enough to head out and give it a shot. This after two thirty minute rides in the past two weeks. During those two rides I managed to convince myself threshold wattage didn’t feel too bad. Hahahaha! Oh my. You can fake it for maybe 15-20 minutes then the wheels will come off.

At home in bed as I type. No way am I racing the road race tomorrow. Too bad as the field is big and fast with lots of good riders from around the western US. If you guys get this or anything resembling a chest infection get ready for a few weeks of down time! Peace

1 Like

That’s no good at all :pensive:.

I’m so sorry to hear that you won’t be able to finish your race, but its good that you’ve switched into recovery mode and made that tough call.

Where is your neck of the woods exactly? It would be good to know if I need to be on the lookout :eyes:

1 Like

I raced a crit last September just as I thought I’d shaken off a virus. Big mistake. It took me a further two weeks to recover and I swore I’d never do that again.

1 Like

Phoenix. We have two in high school and my wife teaches 2nd grade so perhaps I’m closer to the epicenter than normal. If you hear someone coughing run the other way.

1 Like