Racing after COVID and time off training

So with my first race (XCO) of the season in 9 days, I’m suddenly feeling confused thanks to possibly my least active 3 weeks in the last 9-12 months.
4 weeks ago I felt great, I was crushing every training ride and had some pretty clear process and pace based goals for this race, then I got COVID and and work dragged me back to the office.
Don’t know what I should focus on this week or how to approach the race. Luckily it’s a B race and my A race isn’t till December…But you know, it’s still a race :slight_smile:

From what I’ve seen amongst friends and family, 4 weeks after Covid you should be focusing on your health. You might not be fully recovered.

If I were you I’d start short and easy and do some very progressive testing to make sure that you’re in good condition (no crazy heart rate, no excessive fatigue after riding), then if you’re really good to go, treat next week’s race as a training race - no expectations of performance, just get round as part of your comeback.

Good luck, whichever way you go!

2 Likes

What should you focus on?

Have fun, get a good ride and workout in. Let go of the results.

2 Likes

Rest & recovery. I had mild covid in January and it took 4-6 weeks to get back up to par with the first few recovery paced rides bring massive fatigue. Unfortunately I had another Virus in March - covid negative - which did the same for a 2 week period. Its a symptom know as post viral fatigue, so don’t rush it or you’ll make it worse.

Health before results always.

1 Like