Questions for Reno Area Residents

This will be my 6th year in a row participating in America’s Most Beautiful Bike Ride the first weekend of June. Normally, I just fly into Reno and head straight over to Tahoe. This time my wife and I are flying out on Wednesday night and are spending Thursday in Reno and heading to Tahoe sometime on Friday. My original hope was to be able to race in the weekly crit series that the TR crew talk about on the podcast, but it looks like what they have planned is on Tuesday that week. Other than stopping by the TR headquarters to get a mug and a T-shirt, what else do those of you local to Reno suggest we do during our time there? The extent of our experience there has been flying in and out of the airport, staying a night at Grand Sierra Resort, and breakfast at Denny’s. So if you have any suggestions for good places to eat, cool things to see, fun things to do and if there are any good group rides on Thursday I would appreciate.

Matt

Well I would stay at the Peppermill because it is much nicer, get a room in the Tuscan Tower. Food all depends on what you like…if you like fresh, organic, or vegan try Grateful Garden’s or Pizza Collective/The Deluxe downtown. Southcreek Pizza is awesome as well. For breakfast there is Peg’s and Squeeze In. There is no organized thursday ride but I’m sure someone will offer to take you out if you want.

:+1: from my brother-in-law - he stays there every week. We stayed once and loved it. I’ve got a college kiddo at UNR, for food we pull up Yelp and search midtown restaurants. Or stop in Truckee on way home.

If you need someone to ride with on Thursday let me know… I usually ride every afternoon about 2:30-3…we can do Geiger Grade to Virginia City of a Franktown loop (a bit flatter).

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I will definitely let you know. My wife will want to get a workout in that day so if it works out for me to ride with you she can go hit the gym and then we can go check out one of the places to eat that you guys suggested.

Thanks,

Matt

Hey @craigmanning we are coming up for daughters b-day, what do you think of Johnny’s Ristorante Italiano? We drove by it a couple months ago, and it gets good Yelp ratings. Our favorite is Sierra St Kitchen & Cocktails, but wanted to try something different.

I’ve actually never been to either…sorry I couldnt help!

1 Like

rolling the dice on Johnny’s… should make for a perfect b-day today… a new transmission in '03 Accord and not getting dragged to Sierra St Kitchen again LOL Hoping both Johnny’s and General Transmission are really as good as Yelp ratings say!

This podcast may give you some places to visit

1 Like

So how was Johnny’s? Suddenly I want to go there.

1 Like

Awesome! The Bruschetta would bring us back for appetizers only if we wanted to save some coin. The lasagna seafood special was incredible! So light and airy, unlike any lasagna I’ve ever had.

Went to Maggie’s for brunch today, great new find!