Pushed it on last threshold interval = new FTP?

New cyclist, first time TR here. I’ve had a lingering suspicion the past two weeks that my FTP of 147w from my ramp test ~4 weeks ago is slightly lower than what it actually is.

During the last interval of today’s threshold workout, I felt really good and decided to push it to max failure the last two minutes. Strava is telling me my 1 minute power during this effort was 291w, so 291w x 0.70 = 203w new FTP.

I feel good and don’t anticipate any problems with tomorrow’s sweet spot workout. I’ve also done 783 TSS this week of a planned 400 due to additional active recovery/z2 rides on my off days. So, definitely think I’ve been working at a zone below what I should be for all my workouts.

OR, is this typical noob mistakes and I’ll be due for some serious overtraining symptoms some time soon.

If not, is it safe to assume the Strava guesstimate and rough calculation of 203w is closer to my actual FTP or is this not comparable to the ramp test.

BTW, I’m probably going to just retest on Monday or Tuesday after a real rest day.

Graphic below:

It doesn’t quite work like that as you use 75% of your MAP from the ramp test and that has ramped all the way up to 120% + FTP in the previous minutes…that said if you can do that at the back end of an o/u session then your FTP is set to low…time to retest! :grinning:

2 Likes

This isn’t really comparable to a ramp test. It is very likely that you are stronger but to not derail that progress I would just go ahead with your plan to do another ramp test. Just came up in the last podcast about how low the physiological tole on the body it is and that if you really feel that your not working out with the proper FTP than it’s just best to retest.

2 Likes

Not sure what that means just yet, I’ll be reading up on MAP. But from what you said is your guess that 203 is lower or higher than my FTP?

1 Like

MAP - is your Maximum aerobic power and is the protocol used in the ramp test - you take 75% of the last minute. I think it over estimates the FTP of most people. I have my FTP set at 300W on TR and most of the SS/VO2/ Threshold sessions are doable with that - although supra threshold stuff is bloody hard. That said I time trial in the UK…well I do when racing is on and the only race I did this year I averaged 270W for 54 mins and your FTP is supposed to be your hour power - I couldn’t put out 300W for an hour. However, if I set my TR FTP at 270W the sessions would be to easy. So - it is difficult to say about your FTP - if it was 203W then sessions based on a 147W FTP would be so easy you would barely be trying…and you would know so maybe not as high as 203W. You will have to retest - if you are not great at VO2 max work you can sometimes get a low ramp test result. In that case try the 20 min test protocol in the workout calendar which takes 95% of that value. They are all estimates anyway - the only accurate measure is a flat out 25m tt which I normally do lots of - but not in the current climate.

4 Likes

If you are new to cycling…finished up a 700+tss week and feel great still, the yea FTP is low. How low? There is no way to know, until you do a test. Which is why there are tests :hugs:

3 Likes

I wish it worked like that, it would put my FTP at about 350w when it is actually ~265w

If you posted your full PD from Strava some here could make a good guess where your FTP is.
It is certainly higher than 147w.
Sadly your TSS will not be correct, it will be over stated, as it looks like you FTP is set to low.
Personally I’d guess your FTP is in the 160 - 180w region, if you are new to structured training, totally guess though, just do a test.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. I’ve been putting off retesting because honestly I’m scared of what the resulting workouts will be like with my new FTP.

The current workouts feel like I’m getting a good workout in and maybe the lower intensity is helping with my consistency right now.

Time to just bite the bullet and retest!

Resulting workouts will be exactly as they are supposed to, and you will get more benefit from them because of this. Yes they will be harder, but they will be (should be) doable based on an accurate FTP. Just remember, “It never gets easier, you just go faster.”

5 Likes

Re: Strava PD curve

Out of interest what does the Strava estimated FTP come up with?

1 Like

Intervals.icu also has a good FTP estimator.

5 Likes

I nearly posted that. :+1:

1 Like

Great explanation, thanks!

1 Like

Ah, didn’t know about this feature. Thanks!

Intervals is estimating 162w so looks like to be in this range. Hmm… I think I can do better come Monday. We’ll see! :thinking:

1 Like

When in doubt, retest.

4 Likes

Also when you get your new test result don’t be scared to knock it back a couple of %. When I had my newbie gain first block the next block killed me and fully demotivated. I took 2% off which allowed me to push through and I’ve done exceeded that value. You may still have some learning to do in regards to how much you can suffer.

2 Likes

Indeed - but remember we are not pros and I assume you have other things in your life you do as well…so you want to make best use of your training time - that is what TR is about. Only an accurate FTP test will allow you to maximise the efficiency of your training. There is nothing wrong with coffee rides and going out and cruising in the sun with friends but if you are on the turbo you want to be training efficiently which is what Chad’s workouts are designed to do…with the correct FTP - good luck :grinning:

4 Likes

Is that McAdie? if you can finish like that, your FTP is certainly set too low. When you’ve got it dialled in, finishing that workout will feel more like cycling on a knife edge between success and failure.

1 Like

How does it come up with 164 watts when that’s your best power for 20 minutes or so? Wouldn’t that make your FTP about 156 watts?

Intervals.icu estimates my FTP to 291W and I have evaluated it myself to 300 based on previous performances and what I can do physically. I’ve stopped testing since building FTP isn’t a goal this year however testing is important until you get a sense of where you should be.