Protein Sources: Cost/Convenience/Variety

Confirmation once again that the dairy product options we get in the US are extremely limited and overpriced.

1 Like

On the flip side our meat is expensive. Around 15 euro per kg for chicken at the supermarkets. This is for austria, its heavily dependant on country. Steaks are usually 30 euro per kilo (but often are discounted).

Noah, regarding your question about uncooked oats. The oats are soaked overnight in the fridge and have a silky texture. The best part is it’s easy to clean up. You can always microwave if you want them warm.

To me it’s about right (56yrs/75kg/186cm/FTP 4W/kg) This is my usual post ride breakfast (usually eat a banana or a slice of bread with a spread beforehand and some carbs in the bottle during anything harder than endurance) with an Oat milk flat white coffee. This keeps me going until mid-morning. If I am not hungry or on a day off I will reduce the oats down to 100g. This is the only food I measure;-)

On race days where I am racing 1:45-3hrs or more, I would add the following
Two slices of sour dough bread 8g protein and 47g carbs with peanut butter and jam (more protein and carbs)

1 Like

Perhaps a little off topic, but some interesting newish research on protein for older adults came out last fall. It seems it might be better for folks who are older to eat their protein in bigger clumps as opposed to spreading it out over the course of many small meals. This is because higher doses of protein are required for older folks to trigger the same level of muscle protein synthesis as lower doses do in younger people.

8 Likes

those don’t appear to be recommendations for athletes, as it starts at a little under 50% of recommended amounts and the “may benefit from increasing recommendation to >1.0g/kg/day” is a little over 50%.

For athletes the current guidelines I follow are 2x that amount.

That’s right. I thought the interesting part was the need for more protein per feeding.

| WindWarrior
June 15 |

• | - |

those don’t appear to be recommendations for athletes, as it starts at a little under 50% of recommended amounts and the “may benefit from increasing recommendation to >1.0g/kg/day” is a little over 50%.

For athletes the current guidelines I follow are 2x that amount.

do both!

Why?

Absorption and Protein Signaling. e.g. your body makes better use of it with 2x25g than 1x50g.

Agree it’s not always possible, but spreading out is better.

Huh, I didn’t think there was any evidence to support that, just that making sure you get enough each day is all that matters?

Not what I’ve read. Protein signaling maxes out around 25-30g at a time, so better to spread out if you can to maximize the impact. Some reading here:

@BCM, check out that article I linked above – new study came out late last year that showed MPS continued to increase up to 100 grams in a serving. And for folks who are in their 60s or 70s, they may need at least 40 grams per meal to trigger as much MPS as younger folks.

Unless I’m reading that wrong, it addresses 100g vs 25g, not 100g (1x) vs. 25g (4x) which other studies have shown better results. And, while that study didn’t show protein oxidiation, others have.

So, how I read the research is 100g spread through 4 servings is better than 100g all at once, which is better than 25g once.

I personally shoot for 130-150g spread into 4+ servings throughout the day.

I think you’re right – they didn’t compare 100 grams one time to 25 grams four times per day. The following seems to be one of the takeaway the authors had:

" Meal frequency has been proposed as an important modulator of tissue and whole-body metabolism. For example, dietary guidelines in both health and disease typically recommend an equal distribution of daily protein requirements over the main meals to support muscle anabolism.21,22 These recommendations are based entirely on the belief that the muscle protein synthetic response to ingestion of a single bolus of protein has a ceiling and is short lived. The current findings provide evidence to support more flexibility in feeding patterns aimed at enhancing muscle anabolism. Specifically, we show that the ingestion of a single large amount of protein is followed by a prolonged anabolic response, which would obviate the need to consume another protein-rich meal in close temporal proximity. This may explain why time-restricted feeding patterns do not seem to compromise muscle mass maintenance.44,45,46 Our data suggest that time-restricted feeding may not result in a postabsorptive state until far beyond the end of the feeding window. This is of relevance since time-restricted feeding is typically applied to avoid prolonged postprandial periods, which are believed to be undesirable for metabolic health."

My conclusion has been that if splitting protein intake into 4 meals works for one’s schedule, great. If 3 meals works better, also great. I would not go out of my way to split it up into more than 4 meals/snacks because 1) I think there’s unlikely to be a benefit to doing so and 2) there’s a potential downside on the metabolic health side of things.

Edit: Here’s a link to the study itself The anabolic response to protein ingestion during recovery from exercise has no upper limit in magnitude and duration in vivo in humans - PMC

1 Like

Yeah whatever the ‘ideal’ is, I think the important thing to keep in perspective is that appropriate daily intake comes first and foremost, then dosing and source/quality considerations if there’s still room for further optimisation (without negatively affecting other aspects of training/recovery/life).

This thread seems to cover this pretty well, but I feel like elsewhere I see a lot of info that conflates signalling and usability - maybe more than X amount in a serving doesn’t have any significant additional impact on synthesis signals, but you’ve got to go multiple times over that amount before it’s not usable in the sense of daily macros.

I see one of those as a foundational nutritional principle and the other as a marginal gain.

2 Likes