Progression Levels now in Strava Images

Whatever it takes to break from being mid-pack I suppose :joy:

No major problems with the new pic on Strava here. It’s easy enough to disable it if I want to hide it.

My 2c.

This looks a bit shit if you now have the image disabled.
If people are going to do that TR really needs to have some branding attached to the WO name.

The PL’s don’t really work if you’re not doing all of your training indoors. It might be a little too early to start advertising a feature that isn’t fully functional yet.
Don’t get me wrong, I really like the PL’s/AT features. Once there’s a decent estimate in place for outdoor rides I’d happily put more trust the PL’s.

The image itself looked pretty sweet. Who got to be the world famous leg model?

1 Like

Loving this!!! So cool :sunglasses:

1 Like

This should scare off my followers

37 Likes

It’s time to do a ramp test. :grinning:

If they attack you at Sweet Spot, you’ll be fucked

24 Likes

With levels and my FTP folk will know that I am sh1t at anything other than riding at the same pace for ever. Oh they already know that and I TT anyway so my only true competitor is me :joy:

3 Likes

Well a quick scan on this. Just want to say I like the new images. Very cool addition. :raised_hands:

Crazy seeing some Strava followers with 10s on their PLs!

1 Like

Interesting to see the wide range of responses to this new feature.

Also interesting that there are some strong views held at either end of the spectrum (like / dislike) irrespective of the reasoning behind those views.

Personally I’m somewhere in the middle. Not fussed so much about the privacy angle and not a fan of the aesthetic of how the PL bars sit on top of the blue interval profile, as it currently stands.

I imagine TR will seek to address the range of concerns (privacy / aesthetic/ choice etc) in due course.

I have also (as per a couple of comments on this thread) noticed recently that (apparently randomly) when uploading workouts that my Strava feed gets a duplicate picture from TR. I can only speculate that this is a small software bug associated with the recent change?

Yet again though, nice to see this forum being engaged with by the TR team and them seeking to listen / review feedback from their customer base. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

how are all your arguments different for these new images then the old images?
The old images also where just as recognizable “TR” as the new ones.

• no one complaint for optin on the old images (and combined with the workout name, I can easily check your level, at least for that zone)
  • If Strava is “your” workout data storage place, just set it on private by default

many sour comments here… I don’t really get what the issue is…
intel for competitors is a really thin argument… and if that’s your worry, you should share any workout

5 Likes

Me: All I need to do now is make sure he’s at sweet spot and I’ll win this race for sure!

1 Like

Hi! Member of the “data-scientist” user cohort here. I noticed the new feature after yesterday’s workout and was a bit puzzled.

My first reaction was: Oh nice, this looks better than before. Now I can see more of the “results” of my workout in Strava.

But then I couldn’t stop thinking about it and felt there’s something wrong about it. And that is: why would I present my progression levels (and changes thereof) to people on Strava? I hardly understand the concept myself. I see progression levels as TR’s attempt to quantify improvements, however the numbers are extremely individual and mean something for me personally at most, but nothing to anyone else. (And one FTP adjustment and all my values can get back to zero.). And most of my Strava buddies are not using TR. So my conclusion is, I have absolutely no reason to share my progression levels with the world out there.

So why do it? The only thing I can think of is promotion for a TR feature. It makes TR workouts look more attractive (at a glance), more techy, nerdy, scientific. It probably helps to sell TR via the user’s Strava feeds.

If I could opt out of this feature, I would.

As suggested, of course I can of course turn off auto-sharing with Strava. But not sharing to Strava, or having to share manually and edit out all the images, would feel like a big loss to me.

4 Likes

No argument with any of your concerns, but just sharing that my personal interpretation here is that friends would see that I got a bump in my level, and therefore give us something to congratulate one another for. If you’ve ever used Xert or seen it on Strava, they show when people have a big achievement “Breakthrough” and those posts always have comments like:
“congratulations on the breakthrough”,
“thanks, I did X and almost died, but I got the breakthrough!”

Kind of like how ramp test pics always generate conversation.

All apps that automatically send images to Strava do it for marketing purposes. While there are other benefits - someone who is familiar with TR would not recognize most workout names, but the blue-on-black blocks easily tell what type of workout was done - the main goal of the images is for non-users to ask themselves “what is this app they are using”. Adding progression levels goes in the same direction, creating awareness of a new set of features.

I’m not saying I like it, I’m saying I understand why TR wants it.

2 Likes

Not only that, but when the feature first began, Strava actually charged apps for it, in the form of a licensing fee based on user counts. I don’t believe they charge apps anymore.

3 Likes

TR chose to share “new and different” info (specifically about the user) that had never been previously shared. They gave no option to the users or prior warning of the info being shared automatically.

Whether the info is “actionable or worthwhile” to anyone else is entirely irrelevant. That info is ABOUT the user and they should have direct control over whether it is shared or not.

Bottom line, TR made a bad assumption that everyone would embrace this change as positive. They acknowledged the problem and are poised to correct it, but this was a clear and preventable mistake.

26 Likes

One positive of the new images is that we now have a history of our progression levels progress!

2 Likes

Yup:

Glad to see new feature development as always, even if not something useful to me personally. I like your suggestion on the “fix” to the privacy concerns. I can totally understand the reservations expressed by others to display PL’s. I am in the same boat. Don’t want to display that information right now. I do like the original image though without any data. One possible suggestion I’d make, to build on your previous one, is to make the image display option similar to what Strava has started doing with the map image types. You can pick which type of map image you want to display on the ride. TR could have multiple image options to choose from. This could be part of the post ride survey selection, and/or a toggle in settings to always default to one of the selected images or no image.
On a side note related to the PL’s, I do wish there was a way just within TR to see the history of the levels at any time in the past. Similar to TSS histograph on the top of the Career tab. I’d like to see where my PL’s are at throughout the year and past years. For example, I recently had covid, and was off the bike for over 10 days. I watched my PL’s drop down significantly in that time, which was frustrating. I’d like to see where I was before I got sick, so I can get an idea of what I need to do to get back to where I was before getting sick. So some way to scroll back through time on PL’s would be awesome! Keep up the good work, and thanks!

3 Likes

ROFL! :rofl: