Pro Cycling Thread 2024

Always one of my favourite races.

I thought he was done went it came down to 6 seconds… great to see him hold on

2 Likes

Excellent race. Pidcock found a winning path, playing to his strengths. MVDP very flat. I predict he and VAert are going to have a very “meh” season.

Agree on Pidcock, that was impressive.

Disagree on MVDP, though. Pretty tough first race and not surprising he’d be sluggish

I just watched Strade on GCN+ via AppleTV and other than PhilGil, there were no commentators or audible announcing. At first, I thought the announcers hadn’t joined the broadcast yet but they never came on; I could hear the crowds and helicopter, etc. but no commentating. It was actually kinda nice as it made me pay closer attention to the race but I’m curious if others experienced this or if it was just on my end.

edit: I just checked on the GCN+ app and the announcing worked fine. This isn’t the first time I’ve had streaming issues with GCN+ on AppleTV and Firestick

It’s your settings. I used to have the same issue until I was told what to do.

With the play bar up there is a square icon top left on the screen. Swipe up to select it then click on it. This brings up the commentary options. Apple, by default, has it on ambient, but swipe down and select your preferred language.

Now you will have the commentary.

I watched a dozen CX races with only ambient sound until I was enlightened…

3 Likes

Doesn’t apply to me but great info for others :+1:

There are good “streams” out there :crazy_face:

Strade is a better indicator of Pidcock’s descending chops. Especially on mixed terrain.

I still don’t think he’s necessarily the best of all time, but definitely one of the very best in the current peloton.

I would say that MVDP and WVA would at least equal him. I wish WVA would race XC just so we know who really is the best out of those three. (WVA obv.)

I guess Nino is paying him (WVA) off not to turn up…

2 Likes

I wonder if WvA is too big to deal with the XCO courses. Of course power may just win out, but MVdP is a better technical CX rider it seems and he’s not dominant in XCO by any means.

I am very much hoping/looking forward to him having another proper, dedicated crack at XC racing. He might be just too big of a commodity on the road now though.

On MVDP and VAaert

I say that in the ProPeloton, their game is too predictable now and they can’t outmuscle everything and be immune to fatigue.

I feel like those things were said last year before WvA tore the TdF to pieces and MVdP did a similar thing at the Giro.

We’ll see I guess when they both show up with decent legs. Absolutely they are beatable, they play a high risk, high reward game.

I felt this was a pointless show. Crazy attacks to then completely melt in the mountains. Idk why a guy like him would go to a race like that, he thought it was preparation for TdF but he was cooked.

An incredible talent for sure, but I see a lot of strategic mistakes, aside from pushing little girls in hotels.

2 Likes

Gotta agree here….it all had the air of a man desperate to find his form.

2 Likes

Looking forward to Stages 4 and 7 of Paris-Nice.

:1st_place_medal:Pog
:2nd_place_medal:Vinegar
:3rd_place_medal:Martinez

Let’s see what the deservedly Uber hyped De Lie does. Today he was kind of lost.

Anytime you cast from GCN app, it reverts the audio to ambient. you have to select your preferred language again in the media display on your phone/laptop.

2 Likes

And that’s the least broken way to watch GCN for me - their amazon fire app is fully broken.

1 Like

Tirreno Adriatico:

What happened to Roglic in the TT ???
Very good performance by Almeida

Lost again

Nice job by Kooij

Anyone watching Paris Nice ?
It’s a bit of a rehearsal for this summer’s Grand Tour (Pogacar vs Vingegaard)

Today is the Team Time Trial, where they have this new format where they get the time on the 1st cyclist (instead of the 4th)
Many strategies are possible to get one guy to the finish line as soon as possible

“But I won’t tell you how we’re going to race. You will see on the day.”
Can’t wait to watch this

2 Likes