Pregnant and following a plan

Im currently pregnant in week 28 and started to use TrainerRoad this week.
Im wondering if any other women has experiences of this? What plan on TrainerRoad to follow, what kind of training that might be benificial while being pregnant or just any advice?

Ive put my first A-race in beginning of July 2021 (no idea if thats possible after giving birth etc) and was planning on to follow the calendar of a loong base phase until the start of 2021 (when I hope the kid will arrive). As Ive heard that I should try to keep my heart rate not higher than at 90% of my maximum, and this works well with sweet spot intervals.

Ive been super lucky until now (soon in third semester) and have been able to ride about about 10 hrs per week during my pregnancy so far. Mainly Im doing it just because it makes me feel so much better and eventually I also hope not to loose so much of my form ( my FTP was about (260W/60kg) 4 w/kg when I got pregnant, and now Ive dropped to about 230 w in actual numbers in FTP, and thats not too bad. But Ive also gained about 10 kgs so the w/kg-ratio is not that good anymore but it doesnt matter as far as I can keep on riding :slight_smile: ) .

Happy for any kind of advice on this :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

Welcome

It was covered a little bit on one of the podcasts

2 Likes

Paging @runriderandi and @SonyaLooney!

1 Like

Checkout episode 57 of the Zwift PowerUp Podcast where they talk directly about this

Zwift has also released some training plans which are target at pregnant women so they might be worth checking out if you have a subscription.

2 Likes

First off congratulations! And daaaaaaang, you strong!

Oy, this is tough for me as I found it way too stressful to adhere to a plan when I was first pregnant. That first trimester hit me hard. My FTP went from 230 to 210 in like a week it seemed, as I had such a hard time even holding 80% for longer than 15 minutes. But it was summer in my garage in SoCal. Nonetheless, it’s not like I physically dropped that low–I just mentally could not do it. So at like 12 weeks pregnant I just tapped out of all structured training and just rode whatever felt good.

Once I got well into the second trimester I started to feel a little more normal and began a plan again, doing sweet spot and was able to get back to 8+ hours/week. But I would have good days and bad days, and my type A personality wouldn’t let me just take a scheduled day off without feeling guilty. So back to just riding for fun again. I ended up doing tons of group rides and races on Zwift, which I was so thankful for! I never cared about how high my heart rate got once I could feel her bouncing around in there. And before I knew I was pregnant I did a killer road race where my HR averaged 190+bpm for an hour, so I think the little fetus knew what to expect :sweat_smile:

Reflecting back on my riding from when I was pregnant I did a ton of low sweet spot training (unstructured). And man, once the baby was out my endurance was freaking amazing! Not to mention the increased blood volume and immediate increase in lung capacity!

I rode up to 2 days after she was due (7-8 hours a week), which was 2 days before she finally decided to come. At which point I had calculated my FTP to be around 180. I was back on the bike 12 days after giving birth (but this is hugely variable!). I started to feel like a normal human and could really start training and digging deep at 3-4 months PP. I’m 7 months PP (FTP at 205 and kg lighter than when I got pregnant) and am still waiting for the full me to be back; however, I breastfeed and I feel like that just plays with my hormones too much for me to really feel like myself just yet.

Please don’t hesitate to DM me if you want! :v:

3 Likes

Hi and thank you so much for your answear :).
So glad that you wanted to share your experiences and it seems like you have handeled the pregnancy and the PP best way as possible.

I might be a bit optimistic trying to following a plan right now, but I just really like to know whats on the schedule for the week (even though Ive after just one week into the plan changed both the workouts and the intensity of them). Dont think it gives me too much stress.

Thanks again for your answear and Im excited to see how your journey goes in the future :slight_smile:

If you like having the schedule and it doesn’t affect you to change it up or reduce intensity then you should absolutely keep doing that!!!

Sweet spot was the real money maker I think, because ftp and vo2 were out of the question when it came to intensity. And sweet spot isn’t too fatiguing where you need all that many days at Z2.

On another note…I have this mild sense of hopelessness as we are likely going to try for one more around October of next year. So I get these moments where I’m like “why should I even try if I’m going to wreck it all again anyway” :joy: then I realize it makes me feel good and having the best starting point will make the whole process that much better!

1 Like

Yes I also feel like sweet spot is kind of the only structured way of training that works. Going above my FTP is way harder than before, and Ive always been a “diesel” and not a sprinter so I have never found anaerobic training easy :sweat_smile: .

Just before I got pregnant I was in a very good shape as I was supposed to race Cape Epic (7 days stage race MTB), and I had this goal in mind during training for a year or so. Then it got cancelled 2 days before tha start and I got pregnant just 4 weeks laterThe contrast to loosing a big training goal + fitness when I got pregnant was huge. I hade some weeks feeling completly empty but now again Ive some way found motivation to train hard (or as hard as I can) without having any idea when I might have to race/peform on the bike again. Superhappy about this and I just try to hang on as long as possible :slight_smile: .

1 Like