PowerMatch Experiences

@oldcrank That is odd, because we did enable the feature for you as of June 15, 4:15AM PST. A couple things to check:

• Is your paired power meter set to “Use Cadence Only”? If so, switch that off, since otherwise all of the PowerMatch settings will not appear when looking under Smart Trainer settings.
  • Have you kept the TrainerRoad desktop application up to date? ePM is not available in older versions of the application. (It is unlikely that this is the case due to our automated updates.)

@alhan,

Should ePM enabled be remembered between sessions? At least for me, this keeps getting set to not-enabled every time I re-launch TR.

1 Like

@alhan Thanks so much for replying. Maybe this is another case for support. In answer to your 2 queries: 1) “Cadence Only” is switched off, and has been; 2) Honestly don’t know if the desktop (on iMac) app is up to date. I finally went into the Finder and used Get Info, which gives this as the Version: 2020.16.94. Unlike most apps, the TR app’s pulldown on the top bar does not have an About, and no version number. Hence, the trip to the Finder.

What occurs (about 7 times now) is that the app launches (presumably the version noted above). As it’s launching a pop-up appears (briefly) stating that a new version has been downloaded and will be installed “on next exit” (if I recall correctly). I did catch this time that the new version ends in .97. On the top app bar is “Update Available – App will auto update on next launch”. At far right is an active button to “Restart App Now.” Pressing that causes the app to quit, but it never restarts. There is no version .97 in the Applications folder.

Here is what I see in Devices>Elite Direto:

I think I should be seeing something different if my desktop app has the beta ePowerMatch enabled.

Awesome, will try ERG on Friday after tomorrow’s much needed rest day (failed badly today!).

Thanks.

You’re using an old version of the app so should probably contact support to see if they can help troubleshoot why it’s not updating

1 Like

Thanks for pointing this out - I hadn’t realised.

What is the version number for experimental power match if anyone knows please. It wasn’t an option in my trainer settings. I am on the beta download (2020.25.0.113-Beta.)

fyi @alhan

I’m on Mac beta and my version is 2020.25.0.106-Beta. I have not used TR since last Friday, so maybe there has been an update since then or maybe different version numbers for different platforms :man_shrugging:

Also, where are you looking for the ePM settings? ePM is not under the TR app “Settings”. You will need to have your trainer paired and then look in its settings to enable and adjust ePM.

In device settings from lh menu, all I have are the erg or resistance options, and if the trainer is on the option to calibrate.

If my cranks are awake I get the power match on/off options but on ePM options.

Yes. The cranks (bike power meter) need to be active/on and paired as well. Otherwise, you will not see the option to enable “PowerMatch Test”

That’s the bit I’m missing, the red box.

I get power match auto/manual/disabled and that’s it (see 2nd screenshot). Which is why I wondered what version people are on.

I’m not using the beta, just the latest stable release. On MacOS also.

1 Like

Did you fill out the questionairre in Step 2 of post #372 above?

If you did and are still not seeing the ePM stuff when your smart trainer and bike powermeter are paired, then you should probably message one of the TR who have posted on this thread or contact support.

Yes, that is currently a bit annoying. This will be fixed when released to production.

Awesome, thanks! Although it’s really sunny here so might be a couple days!

2 Likes

Thanks, @Corey! It got me the latest version, and the beta PowerMatch stuff as well. I rode DCR’s short test – 8 short sprints lite – in ERG and a couple in Resistance to compare, and am digesting results. I’ll re-read this thread so I better understand the Advanced Settings which I didn’t touch.

FWIW this version does run on my 2011 iMac with High Sierra, so that’s great news. Whether it will auto update or not, I don’t know. In any case I love the new keyboard shortcuts!

1 Like

@Corey the default settings that are in my windows app are different than what show up in this thread. I just got granted access two days ago. Can you confirm what I should be on?

THanks,

I tested with these new settings, but noticed no differences in the feeling.

it would be helpful to know what changes with this setting are done, so that you can pay a little attention to it.

should I take a RAMP test in about 2 weeks, is ePM also fit for this?

so far I had no problems with 4 rides with ePM yet!

Hi @fl33tStA, thank you for all of the ride reports! Setting 1 should increase the responsiveness of ePM to fluctuations in the offset between your smart trainer and power meter. It can be good or bad since an overly responsive approach may result in highly erratic changes in resistance while an overly unresponsive setting can result in long durations at the wrong power level.

I recently did a Ramp Test using ePM and all went well - I forgot that I was using it (as one does during a Ramp Test) until the day after. There is no reason to not use ePM for your next Ramp Test if it’s been working well enough for your other workouts (also it’s best to evaluate your FTP using the same setup that you plan to use going forward).

1 Like

Hi @RONDAL, there should be a toggle that says “PowerMatch Test.”

1. If you wish to take part in the testing of Experimental PowerMatch, please enable it.
  2. Under Advanced Settings, please update “Setting 1” to “0.5”

Original post with instructions: PowerMatch Experiences - #380 by alhan

1 Like