PowerMatch Experiences

thanks for your answer, then i will try the Ramp Test next week with ePM, anyway you can see something in my rides that is different with the modified “Setting 1” or is it only a feeling during the ride?

@alhan I’ve used ePM for the last eight workouts I’ve done ( a combination of endurance, threshold and VO2 max). Initially I had setting 1 at the default setting of 0.1 and increased it to 0.5 following your earlier advice. While I haven’t detected any real difference between those two settings, I have found my overall experiences of powermatch to be significantly better with ePM. I’m using it in conjunction with Assioma Favero Duos and a Cycleops Hammer (H1). I’ve found PowerMatch to be so much more responsive to changes in target power and overall it feels smoother and more consistent than it used to. Nice work TR. Looking forward to its release when I don’t have to keep going into settings to enable it and change setting 1 before every workout!

4 Likes

Thanks, I had forgot to activate “Powermatch test”.

I agree! ePM has been stellar!

1 Like

Completed Spanish Needle with ePM yesterday and overall experience was much better than in the past and definitely an acceptable experience. I didn’t switch it off to standard erg to see how responsive the trainer was without PM running, but given the general difficulty in getting 15/15s to average out reasonably at all, I think was a definite win!

3 Likes

Update for ePM Testers:

Thank you for all of your ride reports! We have received sufficient feedback at this stage, so feel free to discontinue use of the ride report form. ePM will continue to be available to you.

We are currently making some necessary updates such as storing your settings between sessions. We will then release an update to ePM.

9 Likes

big shouts to TR Team, today i made my Ramp Test, in the final minute i had a small prob with my right quad, anyway my FTP is 4 Watt lower then my Outdoor FTP detected by Garmin Edge 830 arround 2 weeks ago during a hard climb, so i am totally happy with ePM (Neo2 and Vector3 used)! :facepunch: :raised_hands:

1 Like

For those running the Beta Desktop application:

• The latest update (2020.30.0.109-Beta) has the New PowerMatch (no longer experimental).
  • You will need to enable it (and this time your choice will be saved).
  • It is still possible to toggle between Legacy PowerMatch and New PowerMatch.
  • There is one advanced setting for New PowerMatch: Responsiveness, which was Setting 1 during the private beta testing. It is set at 0.5 by default, which proved to be a better experience for most athletes, but you may find that a different setting works better for your power meter / trainer combination and or personal preferences. A higher value should translate to quicker update to the trainer / power meter offset. While this may sound desirable, updating too fast can make for jumpy resistance levels. A lower responsiveness will likely result in smoother power, but the adaptation to changes in offset may take longer.
  • Unless we come across any issues during usage in beta, the feature will likely be released to the production application in less than a week.
11 Likes

Awesome! Will save me from having to remember to set setting one back to 0.5 :smiley:

1 Like

@alhan,

I did this ride - Log In to TrainerRoad - yesterday, and as you can see these intervals, it takes a while for the power to hit the requested level - this was done with “New PowerMatch”. So based on this performance, should I increase Setting 1 from the current 0.5? If so, any recommendations on what I should try?

1 Like

Just out of interest @alhan what do all the other settings control if setting 1 controls responsiveness?

It is worth a try to increase to 1. If it gets worse, then try 0.1. If that fails, then go back to Legacy and let me know :smile:

I assume you calibrated both devices?

There’s a reason we didn’t put labels on them. :sunglasses: Let’s just say that there’s a lot of math involved.

1 Like

@alhan,

Yes, I calibrated both. I will give it a try with such large changes to setting 1. But as a former controls engineer, I find the lack of sensitivity to Setting 1 very interesting.

Cheers

From what we can see on our end, it looks like the two devices are not cooperating at all, just before each interval. It’s a timing issue more so than a sensitivity to the target being sent. The difference in timing is creating a massive offset, which PowerMatch isn’t bridging fast enough. We did a simulation and it looks like a lower Responsiveness setting may be the safer choice, but the problem will likely persist.

As you noted, the issue will not be resolved by that setting alone - it seems we might consider a different type of fix for this particular scenario. If you continue to have issues, please get in touch with support and let them know that you are using New PowerMatch. We can try to work through these issues. Meanwhile, Legacy PowerMatch remains available.

Probably for the best :sweat_smile:

Strange. Got the latest version, updated, etc.
And I’m still on the old “beta” version :confused:
Or is it that i’m not ON the beta, but just have the EPM.
Confused is the name of the game :slight_smile:

Yes, strange indeed. I was also using Beta with the first version of ePM and the latest update replaced that with the latest PowerMatch iteration. You could always try the nuclear option and delete the application and re-install, if it’s worth the effort. Our support team may be better suited to help resolve the issue if it persists.

1 Like

i don’t get an update of the Windows App too, tried yesterday and today!!

@alhan Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but what will be the main improvement compared to the actual powermatch?