Powercal HR support?

I occasionally need to travel for work. In order to keep up with my workouts while traveling AND be able to integrate those workouts into Trainerroad, I purchased a PowerCal (a heart-rate based power meter) and a Wahoo RPM (see the DC Rainmaker post on how to use the Wahoo RPM with gym equipment by stuffing it in your sock on the side of your shoe). Those two pieces of kit, which weigh almost nothing and take up a negligible amount of space, should allow me to record power, HR and cadence on any bike, nomatter how dumb or outdated. I also plan on using the PowerCal during recovery rides on my dumb rollers.

Today was my first opportunity to try this setup with Trainerroad. Cadence and power showed up without a problem, but I couldn’t figure out how to get the PowerCal to report my heartrate. I assumed it was user error, but after my workout I found this on the PowerCal website:

" I am trying to use the PowerCal for heart rate data while using a Hammer, TrainerRoad and an iPad. The PowerCal is visible on the TrainerRoad menu, but there is no heart rate information on the data page. Do you know how to make it work or should i return it?

ASKED BY RON2 MONTHS AGO

Add your answer

VERIFIED REPLY - BRIAN

AS of today (12/24/18) TrainerRoad does not support the PowerCal as a HR Monitor."

See the first question in the Q&A here: https://www.powertap.com/product/powertap-powercal

What gives? It sounds like Trainerroad used to support HR on the PowerCal but now doesn’t, even though it accepts power readings from the PowerCal? That sounds odd. I would be grateful if you could restore this functionality, as it is quite useful when traveling (or on rollers).

Thanks!
Adam

Hey Adam!

We have never supported the PowerCal as a Heart Rate monitor unfortunately :pensive:. We pair only to the default mode of the strap, which is the Power Mode.

Our Developers are currently tied up with some major projects, so adding support for the PowerCal is not on our Development Roadmap at this time. I’m really sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The good news though, is that you will be able to use the power numbers from the PowerCal while travelling, which will allow you to keep up with your training plan while away from the comforts of home.

Best of luck with your training this season!

1 Like

Ahhh OK, I was misinterpreting the PowerCal website then. And I understand this isn’t a priority. I’m just glad I can get power numbers while on the road. Thanks!

2 Likes