Power spike when changing between trainer mode (Kickr V5, iOS)

Hey all,

Has anyone experienced large reported power spikes when changing trainer modes? When I change from Erg to resistance mode, for example, I sometimes see a huge spike in the reported power value - like 2500+ watts. This is far more common if I am currently pedalling when I make the change. I am using a Kickr V5 and the iOS app.

Context: I sometimes like to kick out of erg into resistance or standard mode when I’m in a recovery valley to get a bit of extra recovery.

What firmware do you have on your kickr - that symptom does sound familiar to an issue on an earlier version

from the release notes, not exactly the same but could be it?..

KICKR v5 Firmware v4.2.8 - 11 March 2022

• Fixed: Power spikes while coasting when using ERG simulated speed mode
  • Fixed: Control with ANT+ power meter
3 Likes

Hey @TheGearedGuitarist :slight_smile:

If you haven’t done so, I’d have to agree with @kevistraining with the firmware update. Firmware updates often include fixes and improvements that could impact how your trainer interacts with 3rd party apps.

You can check for a firmware update on the Wahoo app:

Additionally, I would look into making sure that:

• Your iPhone’s software is up to date

• Your iPhone has enough storage (2GB)

• You are fully closing any other open apps so they don’t interfere with the TR app performance while running a workout.

• Your iPhone is not on Battery Save Mode

1 Like

@Caro.Gomez-Villafane Just FYI - the Wahoo app has changed layout and such, so those screenshots no longer reflect what it actually looks like. The Wahoo documentation site has updated screenshots and process. If y’all have any canned responses you will need to update them.

2 Likes

HI @Caro.Gomez-Villafane and @kevistraining - thanks heaps for the trouble shooting steps. All firmwares were already up to date v4.3.0 for the Kickr and 17.1.2 for the iPhone. No other apps were open and I have enough storage, so I don’t think that’s the issue. I’ve got some further tips from TR support so I’ll do those as well and report back.

1 Like