Post deleted, post deleted---

post deleted, post deleted

What @Johnnyvee said, plus make sure that you are breathing effectively.

Breathing faster but too shallow can provide your body less oxygen than breathing slower and deeper. That’s why hyper ventilating is bad.

Some people (me included) have a tendency to tense up or a poor fit in the bike and that can also restrict your breathing.

Then There’s allergies. I can feel fine, but if I don’t take my allergy pills everyday, then I struggle to breath well for the first 15 minutes of intensity. If I just stay on top of my meds, then all is well

1 Like

I consider them much less dreadful than any of the other assessments.

Next time you’ll probably do a better job at pushing yourself to the limit.

I’m going to agree that you flip your phone over or hide the HR number when it starts to get high.

Otherwise, I really don’t know if you’ve indicated any other weaknesses other than just needing to do this assessment more than once.

What is limiter depends where you are with your fitness:

• 1 year ago when started, my legs gave up first
  • after 2x SSB legs were fine but breathing became limiting factor
  • currently in middle of SusPB, let’s see what next test brings

Regarding hiding HR, I prefer knowing it during test: it’s little mental boost, not giving up before reaching at least same level as previous test (in year went step by step from 192 → 205bpm during final minute)

1 Like

How long did you last before you bailed? That can give us some indication of how far into the workout you made it and how far you’ll need to go next time. The break even point for your second test is around 19:30. Since this was your first test, it could be likely that you exceeded that because the arbitrary FTP value you start with may be low. Or it may be high. Your next test will be a better relative comparison.

1 Like

post deleted, post deleted

So 20:11 seconds is a good result. Assuming the FTP you started with was a good estimate, you had to put forth a strong effort to get basically 41 seconds past the break even point and if you weren’t doing your first test, you would have seen a pretty good improvement with this result. You can expect the rest of your testing to be similar and perhaps not even make it quite as far as you did this time. Breaking even is tough as it is.

3 Likes