Polarized Training Workouts & Experiences (80/20)

I am not sure that I am the best to offer specific suggestions here. There is some great discussion in this thread.

It covers the work and recovery intervals and the relative importance of their duration.

This is true, but I would caution against taking this as a typical issue, and only apply in your case if you have firm understanding of your own testing and how it relates to the following workouts.

• In my case, I found that I had routinely under-tested with the 1x20-min and 2x8-min tests. The Ramp test results felt “too hard” at first for me, but I soon found that I could complete the workouts as prescribed in most cases. What it took was a recalibration of my RPE and my expectations with respect to power and how the workouts “should” feel.
  • I have no idea if you are one who tests above, below or right on in the Ramp test. I just think you should make that call based purely on your own experience, and not that of others. Doing so may be limiting your own training.
  • I mention that as you seem to be disappointed with a lower Ramp test result (as we all would). As such, you seen to be heading in the wrong direction by dropping the FTP.
  • Since the Polarized approach is so heavy in VO2Max, it is appropriate to evaluate what level of stress is appropriate for you. There is MUCH discussion about the variation that we see in people from their age, training history, and physiology. There is no “one stop shop” for correct training values. It requires some testing and evaluation.
  • It seems you are doing this by reviewing HR at the conclusion of the intervals. The one thought I have on this is to make sure you are looking at that properly, to make sure you are hitting it right. I am no expert, but I think you need to be hitting about the last 1/4 of your interval at those target HR’s. If you are only hitting them at the very end of the interval, you may be missing out on the full stress.

I can’t offer more direction as I have only loosely followed the most recent discussion. As I said, there are others far more versed in this conversation. Hopefully one of them can add to and correct anything I have shared, so you can consider your next steps.

1 Like