Polarized Training vs. Sweet Spot (Dylan Johnson video)

You mean “fitness”.

1 Like

First few rides were experimenting to find my minimum effective dose for maximum aerobic training. Was also after volume so stuck to Z2/Endurance rides. Worked out to 3.5-4hrs for assumed best results.

Must have worked cuz I’ve got sooo many 2021 PRs! :laughing:

:

ATL. Fixed.

1 Like

What % of FTP did you end up with for the Z2 rides?

If I follow the 70% of max HR rule I end up at around 60% of FTP. Don’t know if that’s high enough to get a proper stimulus.

Between 65-70% FTP/65% HRmax.

My bad day just barely squeaked into Z2 @ 57%/60% HRmax.

Thanks.

Looks like I need to work on my endurance to get the power up at low HR. Or increase my max HR :woozy_face:

Yup. It takes a while but it’s cool to see when it finally kicks in.

My strongest day (immediately after my weakest day) was 4:10 @ 70% FTP/68% HRmax.

I REALLY love/hate my trainer now!

2 Likes

Can you expand on preferring SSBHV2 over MV?

I’m about to choose either SSBMV (plus a bit) or HV and can’t decide which?

Neither did he, but by all means let’s be dramatic about everyone’s verbatim

this. I’m working from home more than I did in office

1 Like

SSBHV is “only” sweet spot. So if you can handle the volume, there is no intensity over sweet spot. I prefer this lower intensity both physically and mentally during base. SSB1 MV has over/unders and SSB2 MV has both over/unders and VO2 work. In mid volume you replace intensity for less volume. I just can’t get in the mindset to do over/unders in November when my first race isn’t until May. Too much intensity seems to beat me up but apparently I can handle endless sweet spot.

That being said, SSB HV is no joke and you do a lot of 3 x 20 and 4 x 20 (even 3 x 30) sweet spot intervals. Those get annoying for sure. They’re tough but doable and always leave me ready to train the next day.

Thanks, I’ve always done MV base and don’t mind over/unders (I seem to be able to handle them well)

However I’m thinking of trying the HVBase plans this year. I’m just worried I’ll loose the “top end” a little as there isn’t any of this work.

Haha, how can I meet others on your ignore list? Seem like good company.

4 Likes

@Captain_Doughnutman

Seems like so long ago I wrote that above, but I still feel the same way (although I now generally know what nationality you are…hahaha). You should be a Colonel by now. :man_shrugging: Keep rockin’, Captain! :vulcan_salute:

It doesn’t follow its either. Think about it.

Could be less efficient at home but the same work has to be done, or covering for other people that do not have the skills to work from home.

I worked more from home than the office as well because I was doing extra tasks I would not be required to do onsite.

Anyway maybe back to the topic?

1 Like

Indeed, please return to the topic at hand. Much appreciated in advance.

My job is just busier during the pandemic hence extra hours. Let’s go back to arguing about what matters

1 Like

I might have missed it in this fast moving thread but how did you go about doing this?

WKO5 has a training impact analysis…

^ and Garmin has one on latest generation bike computers. I’ve found the Garmin one to be more helpful in general.

1 Like

@Captain_Doughnutman

l’ve found that 4-5 hours rides “@ 65%” where I’m stopping for coffee, pausing pedaling to drink/eat, coasting down hills is not as taxing or beneficial as 2.5-3 hours where I really focus on keeping my my power in Z2. I aim for coasting/Z1 tome to be <5% of the ride.

This can be translated to a trainer, too. I did 3 hrs on the trainer today with zero stopping. I am far more wiped than a 5 hour outdoor JRA.

Curious on your thoughts, and others too, on trimming Z2 ride time by maximizing efficiency.

2 Likes

Why ‘trim’ it instead of getting more value out of the ride?