Podcast turning into a morning talk show

Yea but I always felt like I was learning with the old podcast. Now it feels like I’m watching a reality show. Like I used listen and hear the science of interesting topics, along with the banter. It’s not all bad now but I don’t find it as interesting.

2 Likes

I can agree to disagree. My opinion is they do still have some quality information from listener questions and the recent deep dives by Chad I thought were great.

1 Like

The podcast in its current format is largely a product of listener feedback, so I love to see threads like these!

We currently have a listener survey where I’d love to have you all share your thoughts on what you enjoy about the podcast and how we can improve if.

Here’s the link: TrainerRoad Podcast Listener Survey

59 Likes

I like it.

3 Likes

I’m too scared to click the link. It’s probably another Rick Roll…

:thinking:

3 Likes

Safe link is safe.

3 Likes

Yes, yes, yes!
Please, TR, for the love of everything that is holy, please use chapter markers. You add them to your Youtube videos, so adding them to your (audio-only) podcast is a matter of a few minutes!

Even people who don’t mind or like the length :raised_hand: I sometimes like to re-listen bits to extract specific advice. Please, please, pretty please add chapter markers.

24 Likes

Thank you for saying this. This past week, it was 37 minutes into the podcast before it moved beyond the Johnathan learning to swim segment. I mean…I could fast forward but unless I know when the talk show stops, I’m really just going 30 seconds at a time. I was shocked that Johnathan said the feedback on him talking about swimming was overwhelmingly positive. Really? I mean, I know lots of cyclists are into TRI but are they into listening to a new swimmer go on about being out of breath at the end of one lap? It’s also become lots of inside jokes between the various hosts, chit chatting about various things that ultimately are not what I’m here for.

17 Likes

I have worked for (and still kinda associated) with a biggish (5m followers) youtube channel.
I can tell you that content creation is not an easy thing to do. Especially with bike training, with so many episodes and so many hours of discussion already under their belt, I can imagine it might become a little repetitive if they stick to the same old training topics.

In that sense I welcome the more relaxed chat about tangential topics format.

I’m sure there’s more to talk about in training too that they haven’t already but… I can’t think of anything that I can’t find by searching their youtube posts at this point.

15 Likes

Completely agree with this. I like some chat and catch up with hosts, but @Jonathan introduces the show as make yourself a faster cyclist and then we have half an hour on being a faster swimmer :person_tipping_hand:

So chapters or timings would be great. Especially for finding old discussions and their conclusions.

4 Likes

I’m far more interested in what the crew is up to (upcoming events, training etc…) and the shorter, more to the point answers to training questions than I am the deep dives.

Nothing against Chad, but I have no interest in listening to a research paper on physiology as the answer to a podcast question. I appreciate he/they do the research, but just give me the cliffs notes/actionable bits, not flashbacks to sitting in a college lecture hall.

18 Likes

Maybe it needs a bit of structure.

So first 15 minutes, having. General chat, catch up,with guests and what they’ve been up to etc.

And at almost exactly 15 minutes, it goes into answering the questions that have been sent in for 30 minutes.
Last 15 minutes doing a few live questions or rapid fire and then all done.

60 minutes and done.

6 Likes

Concur 100%. Put the links to the research in the show notes for those that want them, but many (most?) of us have the background to really understand most of the details. That si why research papers have Summaries. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can see why Jonathon’s swimming discussion was not something most would want to listen to (but I enjoyed simply because I have been there), but other than that whatever talk / discussion is going on seems entirely relevant to training to get faster on the bike.

4 Likes

When I first started listening to the podcast I literally went back to the beginning of the 'cast and started at episode 1. By the time I got to ~2018 I could accurately guess how the group would answer each question. I mean, there are only so many ways to answer questions, and there are only so many times they are going to repeat themselves before being completely bored out of their gords.

In short, I like hearing about what’s going on with them, besides just the training advice.

13 Likes

Still checking every day for the next episode of ‘The Science of Getting Faster’ to drop… :kissing_heart:

7 Likes

So this is the problem with trying to please everyone, I like to hear him give an overview of the paper as he doesn’t tend to just read it - he tends to give some context and opinion on the studies. If people just give the actionable points, I don’t necessarily trust them and it would take me longer to dig out and actually read the stuff myself.

Yeah I mean I feel like I know them at this point - now I have to admit this is because I often stick it on while I am sleeping/struggling to sleep so I have listened to a lot of the episodes multiple times…

7 Likes

This would be great - you could possibly even index them and make the audio clips searchable so I can easily find all the podcast segments about e.g., two-a-days or whatever… Would be really handy!

3 Likes

I haven’t been able to check the forum in a while and boy I’ve been back for a few minutes and I’m already tired of all the complains.

8 Likes

I hope people have filled out the survey Jonathan posted. Not just comment and then complain about it again In the future. Just saying

11 Likes

Ouch.

1 Like