Plan recommendation or affirmation

As I’m getting close to the end of SSBMV2, I have been thinking about which build plan to use. At 40 years old and 2.5 w/kg, I don’t have goals of winning any races but am looking to set PRs on routes and climbs in my area. The main climb I am targeting is a 2 mile Cat 3 climb and my old PR is 13:02. Mountain biking is my favorite riding but it seems my goals are all road oriented. My thought is to do the sustained power build followed by climbing road race specialty. Any other recommendations?

That seems like a great plan for what you want to accomplish @mtbandy! A lot of the training you will do with those plans will translate well to mountain biking as well!

1 Like

Why not? I picked up MTB at age 40 having not owned a bike since college. I fell in love with the sport and began racing after 6 weeks. I raced 5 times (2017) in beginner cat (cat 3) with an FTP around 183 (2.2 w/kg).

I bought an indoor trainer in December 2017, trained consistently and moved up to Sport (Cat 2) for 2018. I kept training and racing (11 races in 2018) and found myself on the podium 4 times (2nd place best finish) with an FTP around 193 (2.5 w/kg). What I lacked in fitness I made up in grit, bike handling and fearlessness in descents. I didn’t have much fitness, but the fitness I had I exploited all of it!

I picked up TR in July 2018 (FTP tested at 193) and stuck to the training plans. My last FTP test was 287 (3.7 w/kg, but possibly too high FTP) and I assume my next weeks ramp will be higher. I’m going into this race season way more trained and expect to be on the podium and win some races in 2019.

So my point is, you SHOULD have goals of winning races, why not!?! I’m nothing special and through TR and dedication I think you can win races.

2 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire:

1 Like

Well, I do want to win races but the only races in our area don’t separate into categories other than men and women. Realistically racing against guys who are half my age, lighter, and more powerful than me, I don’t stand much chance. I will however go out and leave everything out on the course for my best possible finish.

1 Like

You should throw the link up to your race vid(s). :+1:

2 Likes

That’s tough, age groups are necessary. However, the 40 yr olds are amongst the fastest anyways, lol. Hopefully they at least have categories for experience (Cat 1, 2, 3, Pro).

1 Like

I thought you’d never ask, I’d love to!

4 Likes

Maybe there needs to be a ‘race vids’ thread? :man_shrugging:

1 Like