Pick one: Power Meter or Smart Trainer

I started indoor training this fall with a kurt kinetic trainer with speed and cadence sensors. I got in for as cheap as I could just to see if I liked it. Well I’m hooked.

I’m trying to decide if I should continue to use my dumb trainer with some power meter pedals (assiomas) or spring for a new smart trainer. Eventually, I will probably buy both, maybe one this year and one next. I plan to race some XC MTB and Cyclocross this year. My A races are a Marathon MTB race and my state CX championships.

There are pros and cons to both, however, I want to know which you think would be best? I like the idea of ERG mode for the more complex workouts as I won’t have to worry about finding the right gear or cadence, something I’ve struggled with a bit so far.

The power meter pedals would obviously allow me to train outside and I could swap to the gravel/cx should I wish to do that. They’re also cheaper.

Anyone have some relevant experience? Any help is appreciated.

If you’re going to be following structured workouts, I’d buy a smart trainer first and do RPE-based outdoor rides.

You can always buy a power meter later on.

Existing threads to review and use.