I have a Peleton bike at work I ride occasionally. I have been writing my TR workout targets down and using the power on the peleton display to match the workout. The issue is peleton exports to strata then TR imports and every time my IF is above the IF of the workout I modeled but the TSS is lower. I am doing the same power targets and times as the TR workout. Any idea why this would be happening?
Chances are the Peloton bike is over reading your power, it’s a common theme. I would aim to do the workouts on feel when using the Peloton bike.
I know a lot of riders who use Peloton bikes. They are a fantastic and quiet way to make a 45 minute session fly by, but are notoriously inaccurate. Going from one bike to another, it’s crazy how different “200 watts” feels. Also, the consistency changes at different outputs, so while the Peloton might be close to your Assiomas at 100wt, it might be way off at 200 and then get more accurate again at 300. My recommendation is to do an FTP test on the Peloton and use those numbers for your training, not the numbers you use on your power meter at home.
Post an example. Peloton ride, strava import, TR import.
Also, try something simple like an endurance ride for one hour at 65%. See how that imports. Should be IF of 0.65, TSS of 42.
From everything I’ve read, Peloton bikes can’t be trusted for power. The variation among bikes is something ridiculous, like 20%.
The only worthwhile solution is to slap on some power pedals.
The OPs question is about IF and TSS calculations. The “accuracy” of the peloton power estimate won’t affect that, as all the calculations are done from the same source data (the peloton).
There’s presumably something happening to the data or calculations as the data does from peloton -> Strava -> TR.
The power output on the tr graph looks exactly like the workout I was mimicking. I am using rpe to make sure the workouts are close. The question is why if the power is the same does the if and tss change when it gets to tr.
This is one example. 90 min at 1.00 would be 150 TSS but this shows in the 80s. I don’t want it to say 150 but why is it changing.
The IF for that ride isn’t 1.0. Email TR support. Something is going wrong when the data is imported and and calculations performed.
Agree. Power never exceeded FTP, and was far below it for a lot of the time. So an IF of 1.0 or NP of 270 are not correct. TSS implies IF of 0.77, which seems more reasonable.
You can reach our team at firstname.lastname@example.org; we’ll happily look into this for you.
Yeah I did Pettit and it came out wrong also
Was there ever a resolution to this? I use my peloton mostly with assioma duo pedals and TrainerRoad on my iPad , but I also sometimes just do a peloton ride and import via strava. I have just noticed that my peloton rides look to have lower tss. I am thinking this is to do with how the ‘power’ is measured as the TrainerRoad breakdown of zones says that I spend over 20 minutes coasting, when I was peddling for a whole hour.
Go ahead and shoot us an email at email@example.com so that we can take a closer look .
I stopped letting the Peloton app to sync to any of my Strava or other services when I started Trainer Road. Now, I’ve installed TrainerRoad into the Peloton monitor using the instructions from DCRainmaker.
I’ve seen the same issue on older rides that I sent from Peloton to Strava to Trainer Road.
I picked a 90 minute Zone 2 and 3 ride I did in January. Peloton and Strava show an average power of 147 with a TSS of 95. Trainerroad shows average power of 150 and a TSS of 66. It counted my coasting to 47.8% of the time, which isn’t true of course.
There’s some issue with Peloton’s data when it converts to Strava and then TR. I’ve abandoned Peloton’s data and haven’t looked back.