Paris-Roubaix 2019

Sunday is Paris-Roubaix, for me the Queen of all classics.

I actually wanted to race myself (somewhere else :slight_smile: ) but my wife has to work. This means I have to stay at home with the kids. They are quite self-sufficient but as it looks weather will be miserable as well. Thus, it’s the basement.

P-R has 29 cobble sections, they hit the first after about 1/3 of total racing team. My idea is to ride with them. And hit every cobble section at threshold. This means 3.5 to 4 hours with 29 efforts between 1.5 and 5min at threshold. Should be a good workout.

Depending on my family committments I’ll manage to start riding right before the first pave sector, around ~13:30h central European time.

However, if weather turns out nice I will ride outdoors. Clear priority but looking at the forcast it is quite unlikely. So who’s in?

The 29 cobbled sectors of Paris–Roubaix

29: Troisvilles to Inchy (km 97.5 — 0.9 km) **
28: Briastre to Viesly (km 108.5 — 3 km) ****
27: Viesly to Quiévy (km 101.5 — 1.8 km) ***
26: Quiévy to Saint-Python (km 116 - 3.7 km) ****
25: Saint-Python (km 118.5 — 1.5 km) **
24: Vertain to Saint-Martin-sur-Écaillon (km 127.5 — 2.3 km) ***
23: Verchain-Maugré to Quérénaing (km 136.5 — 1.6 km) ***
22: Quérénaing to Maing (km 140.5 — 2.5 km) ***
21: Maing to Monchaux-sur-Ecaillon (km 142.5 — 1.6 km) ***
20: Haveluy to Wallers (km 156.5 — 2.5 km) ****
19: Trouée d’Arenberg (km 164.5 — 2.3 km) *****
18: Wallers to HĂ©lesmes (km 170 - 1.6 km) ***
17: Hornaing to Wandignies (km 179 - 3.7 km) ****
16: Warlaing to Brillon (km 185 - 2.4 km) ***
15: Tilloy to Sars-et-Rosières (km 188.5 — 2.4 km) ****
14: Beuvry to Orchies (km 194 — 1.4 km) ***
13: Orchies (km 199 — 1.7 km) ***
12: Auchy to Bersée (km 206.5 — 2.7 km) ****
11: Mons-en-Pévèle (km 212 - 3 km) *****
10: MĂ©rignies to Avelin (km 215.5 - 0.7 km) **
9: Pont-Thibault to Ennevelin (km 220 - 1.4 km) ***
8: Templeuve — L’Épinette (km 224 - 0.2 km) *
8: Templeuve — Moulin-de-Vertain (km 225 - 0.5 km) **
7: Cysoing to Bourghelles (km 232 - 1.3 km) ***
6: Bourghelles to Wannehain (km 234.5 - 1.1 km) ***
5: Camphin-en-Pévèle (km 239.5 - 1.8 km) ****
4: Carrefour de l’Arbre (km 242.5 - 2.1 km) *****
3: Gruson (km 244 — 1.1 km) **
2: Willems to Hem (km 251 — 1.4 km) ***
1: Roubaix (km 256 — 0.3 km) *

7 Likes

“A Sunday in Hell”

1 Like

Sounds fun and hard as hell. I’ll be relegated to the basement Sunday morning with PR on live. Planning on riding to it myself. Sunday is usually endurance day, but I may have other plans now.

Forecast gets “better” but since I’ve already built up the pressure

grafik

Road Map:

Training context, just started my “next level” block:

And since I prepare for a very long race in July fatigue resistance is an additional key element.

Today:

AM: threshold intervals on the road

PM: some shorter SST intervals in the basement. “Rode” the last three rides of the Tour of the Basque Country … good test for Sunday. Building my fatigue resistance.

Saturday:
AM: just an easy 30min run to the bakery to fetch breakfast for the family
PM: just an easy spin in the basement, got to watch TotBc.

Sunday:
Paris-Roubaix, haven’t decided on the intensity level yet. Probably start of at 105% per pavé and see how long I can keep this up. Adjust accordingly. Upper endurance between pavés.

This should be sufficient for my extrinsic motivation …

2 Likes

If you’re a real masochist you can add some extra intervals…Every time they show real time power data on the screen try and match it for as long as it appears on screen.

I’m hoping to get some long rides in this weekend with the weather finally breaking but if I’m stuck on the trainer on Sunday I may try to “ride” it as well.

1 Like

Looking ugly outside … good … preparations:

grafik

1 Like

Match 325 Watt avg for 5 hours :joy::joy::joy:

15 of 29 done … still tired from Friday

3 Likes

Done.

5 Likes

as alluded to before, I really need two days between hard days. Friday was tough with two workouts, I don’t recover that well anymore. Still a good workout, tired legs training.

Post up some stats (TSS, power, etc)

Nice job too! I slept like shit and couldn’t get out of bed, missed the start. Great race though.

I must admit, I don’t use TSS. I don’t find it particular useful. Have not even set up a value for FTP in Golden Cheetah. Don’t really test either.

However, using my latest 50min all-out-effort as a proxy I end up with 271 TSS. Effort level of the "on"s was somewhere at 4.8 W/kg. This is below my 50min power. I was still very tired from Friday, not just in the legs. This was really a mental fatigue, as well. It’s so much easier on the mind when you have fresh legs and feel strong. But still good that I pushed through it.