Paris Brest Paris 2023

I don’t think a thread for this had been started yet, so wanted to create something similar to the 2019 PBP thread.

How is everyone’s training going? What are your plans for the next 8-9 months? Will you be using aerobars now that full-length ones are allowed this year? What do you think the new route in Brittany will look like?

Hotels are already mostly full in Rambouillet and along the route, and things seem to be approaching fast! Pre-registration for those with an 1000k event last year opens up next week! Have you added your BRMs from 2022 on the website yet?

3 Likes

Everything going smoothly at moment. Two more weeks of base before moving onto build. The SR series for qualification is easy as I’m an organiser. No need to travel and stay away to get them done. Pre registration as you say next week.

I’m British and plan to ride to Paris as per previous editions, ride the event, then ride home. A 2 day ride down and 2 day ride back with ferry crossing turns it into a nice holiday.

I ride a recumbent thus aero all the time, no need to bolt extra bars on :grin:

3 Likes

Whoa! Really? Please can you link to the regs? I’d only seen a French version of the regs, and I couldn’t be 100% sure I was translating properly, but being able to use proper aero bars will make a big difference, and will also mean not having some kind of half-ar5e bodge job.

This is wording used this year:

Pour des raisons de sécurité, l’utilisation des prolongateurs est vivement déconseillée en peloton.

“For safety reasons, the use of aerobars is strongly discouraged when riding in a group.”

This is a change from them being banned outright, to not being allowed to extend past your brifters like in 2019 (and them using a piece of cardboard to confirm)… to now where it’s basically you can have them but don’t be an idiot about it.

https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/reglement/

2 Likes

1 Like

@cnidos - do you think the majority of the route will be similar to that in 2019? The shape looks a little different, maybe?

I have my accomodation sorted at the Rambouillet campsite. I’m planning to drive down with friends, although no ferry booked yet. And I’ve entered my events for qualification, I seem to remember these filling up in 2019 and some folks struggling to get entry into qualifiers.

Training is going well; I’m about half-way through my planned base phase. My main target this year is a 24h TT, so very similar in terms of the fitness required.

That’s my understanding so far. They just uploaded a 1.5h presentation on the website yesterday which I don’t completely understand as it’s in French. In theory they’ve finalized the entire route, but I don’t think they’ve publicly shared the detailed version of it yet.

But I think it’s mostly the part between Brest and Loudeac or so where things are different. They wanted to avoid the chaos of having riders going both ways on the route at the same time. Controls are all the same though still it sounds like.

1 Like

Regarding accomodations:

I was thinking of getting a hotel near the Gare du Nord train station. This would be a single train ride from CDG airport to the station and then lots of hotels withing a short walk.

Then a short ride across central Paris to the Montparnasse station for a 40-50min train ride to Ramboullet. Which would happen on the Sat pre-registration and again on Sunday departure.

Does this seem reasonable? It’s a similar approach I took with LEL, I stayed at the tube station closest to London and took the train to Debden on both pre-reg and event day.

You could certainly do that, but you could also take the RER a few more stops to Denfert-Rochereau (or Port Royal or Cite Universitaire) and get a hotel there. It’s closer to Montparnasse, and the neighborhood is nicer–the nbhd around Gare du Nord can be patchy.

1 Like

The new route (POIs and turn by turn, not in gpx yet) can be found at page 22 of this brochure (in english) https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/fr/download/PBP-BROCHURE-PRESENTATION-EN.pdf

I understood from some facebook posts that the route changed from Saint-Méen-le-Grand en Bretagne to Brest

2 Likes

Average age of registrations is interesting

2 Likes

Proof, if proof were needed, that 50 is the new 37! :grin:

7 Likes

Official GPX just came out this morning it looks like:

4 Likes

Wow, that’s quite a change in the middle 400K. The Loudeac to Loudeac section will have no overlapping roads for outbound and inbound riders except for sharing Carhaix as a control. That seems like a pretty good change. Also, only one trip over the Roc’h.

Yes and no, I always found it nice greeting riders still heading west and I returned east.

1 Like

Pre registered today. Went out with wife for a 91km ride in wind and rain then registered this afternoon about an hour after I’d got back home.

I’m in the 90hr velo speciales, a 17:15 start

Bonjour,

Nous avons le plaisir de vous confirmer votre préinscription au Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur

Les inscriptions seront ouvertes du 27/05/2023 au 02/07/2023
Nous vous rappelons que votre préinscription sera annulée si vous ne vous êtes pas inscrit avant le 20/06/2023

Cordialement,

L’ACP

3 Likes

Almost 1/3 of the spots are already full, like 24h after pre-registration opened only for those with an 1000+k ride last year.

I think interest in PBP has continued to increase since 2019…

2 Likes

I’ll be joining @GoLongThenGoHome in the 90h vélos spéciaux group :+1: Still waiting for my special vehicle to arrive, but a kind soul on YACF offered me to loan a barrow as a substitute :grin:

ps Phil, you ride a P38?

I think also with LEL counting as a pre-qualifier, unlike in the past, there are likely to be a lot of folks able to pre-qualifiy with a much longer ride than previously. There aren’t that many options for 1000+ rides in the UK, and there are definitely fewer people riding those distances when LEL isn’t running. Will be interesting to see how quickly the rest of PBP fills. I only have a 400k qualifier from 2022. In 2019, I had a 200, and on the day & hour that pre-registration opened, I was there with my finger over the button!

There were six UK 1000km + BRM events last year that would have counted for pre qualification.

1 Like