Pancake timing?

If because of a chain of events outside of my control (:rofl::rofl::rofl:) I’m forced to eat a stack of pancakes, is it better to eat them as recovery after the workout or before to load?

I either have them with yogurt, fresh fruit and maple syrup or egg&bacon + maple syrup.

2 Likes

Half before, half after!

6 Likes

Ahhh…the polarized approach

8 Likes

That’s tempting… But there is no such thing as half pancake!

3 Likes

There are things in life that needn’t be optimized. Pancake consumption is one.

But… I always eat mine after (usually once a week!) because I prefer to ride on a “light” stomach. Whole wheat pancakes - recovery carbs that are good for the soul!

3 Likes

Definitely before the ride: you’ll have a better workout, burn the carbs and continue burning fat after the workout.
Otoh if you eat them after you’ll stop fat burning from the workout in its tracks and store the whole stack in fat.
With that said we’re all different and your mileage may vary

1 Like

Only if you eat 80% before and 20% after. Or is it the other way around? :thinking:

3 Likes

Now I want pandakes :cry:

2 Likes

It makes sense what you are saying. I’m assuming that you leave a few hours to digest and normalize the insulin levels?

If it’s a long z2 ride I guess it doesn’t matter though

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I’ll save that advice for disaster day!

If I’m ever to try Disaster, I’ll make sure it is pancake pay day!

2 Likes

Pancakes every Saturday 3 hours before my Saturday rides here.
Need the carbs to fuel the workout.

3 Likes

That’s really subjective. Carbs, and in particular pancakes would spike my blood sugar very quickly and I doubt they would stay in my stomach very long. I would probably eat and go, but as I said your mileage may vary.

I would be careful not to wait too long. Again when I (rarely) eat pancakes for breakfast, I’d be VERY hungry after not even a couple hours (due to sugar tanking in response to insuline).

For me, before a long ride (like century) I make sure to get some eggs/bacon (fats) and oatmeal, slows absorption and long lasting energy without sugar bonk. But, I repeat myself, we’re all different, so find what works for you.

2 Likes

I usually have a some whole wheat pancakes waiting in the fridge… pop one in the toaster oven before my early morning workout and I’m good to go. So, definitely before.

How did I miss a pancake thread - Yes (before generally, but I am equally down for after if there are left overs)

I like to split my stack with half maple syrup and half coconut syrup, a freaking huge stack an hour or two before a big ride - Yes

My son has an egg allergy so homemade with a whole wheat/white wheat mixture with lots of cinnamon/vanilla

now I need to go visit the weight loss thread

1 Like

I’m a waffle girl myself but use the pancake mix from the super market to make them (convenience - the mix is ready to go and the waffle maker does the cooking part with minimal clean up required). They’re basically my treat for weekends before long rides or race day. Topped with half maple syrup/half chocolate sauce and banana sliced over the top. An espresso or 2 to wash them down and I’m good to go.

2 Likes

How did I miss this thread? I LOVE Kodiak pancakes as ride fuel. Despite the last name, we’re not related, but i feel a bond between us :pancakes:

2 Likes

I “discovered” pancakes shortly before starting this tread.
In my pursuit to find a happy medium between deliciousness and have them more often I settled with this recepie of whole meal flour, oats, cinnamon, eggs and banana.

If you put a thin layer in the cast iron pan you have a pancake if you fill it up, you have a banana bread :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

5 Likes

Hands down, I always have GREAT rides when I have pancakes for breakfast.

3 Likes

Buttermilk pancake Saturdays after riding 5+ hours.

Make a full sized recipe and eat an obscenely large stack with real maple syrup. My profile picture is not a mistake.

2 Likes

Amen!

1 Like