Outside Workout Testers

https://www.trainerroad.com/forumuploads/short-url/1e69F9WJUaI3pZgWr9v6z6kR18t.png

I wonder why you combined zone 6&7? If you set zone 6 to end at 120, then you still have a zone 7 available that’s zone 6 to max, no?

1 Like

It appears that Garmin only allows 6 zones.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. But if you set your zone 6 to end at 120%, you have a seventh zone available in the workout creator, which I assume is 120-max. :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes, apologies, there is a zone 7 in Garmin’s workout creator.

So I did an outdoor workout today, the TR app only brings up a description for me (is that correct?) I was hoping I would follow the intervals through the TR app on my phone which I can attach via Quad mount… synch my P1 pedals and off I go ? (Done this with previous indoor ride session outdoors in TR app) I have also used Garmin connect to replicate the workout … so what am I missing, yes the session is tweaked to accommodate outdoors, more intervals, less time at target, higher power target… but to me means I have to remember all the times and targets :thinking:… today I set my lap count screen and used my DI2 shifters to trigger laps for SS 4x7mins… and could see when my rest or active effort should start / end…but I am lost what the benefit is of this right now… seems half way there?

I’m thinking maybe if you’re prepared to use a quad lock then you’d be better off choosing indoor workout and letting that run until the outdoors stuff is more fully realised.

1 Like

Hi,

Anybody that have tested “Outside Workouts” yet? What bike computer did you use? How did it work for you?

Thanks

Outside workouts aren’t being pushed to bike computers (Garmin, Wahoo) yet. TR provided early access to specially written outdoor alternatives via text instructions so people can try these out while they finalize the integration with headunits

2 Likes

Kaiser +2 on the schedule today (3 sets of 3x3 min 118% FTP). Outdoor workout suggests 5x4 min at 110%.

Not sure I understand the reason for going to longer less intense intervals. I’m going to proceed with 3x3 at 118% outside.

Update from me too, basically I’ve given up on the prescribed workouts. If it’s sweetspot I’ll basically do what I feel up to. 2 by 30, or whatever. Even a 1 by 80min recently too. Thing is, the idea of progression is right out the window now so I’m basically just back to arsing about.

Unless I have somethjng on my head unit to follow I feel like I’m off the leash.

I agree that the difference between length and intensity for indoor vs outdoor is weird (some workouts are longer and less intense in the outdoor version, others are shorter and more intense), but at the end of the day I signed up for trainerroad because I trust their judgement, so I’m gonna keep doing that. Call me a sheep :slight_smile:

Okay I tried Windermere as the alternate to Piute outside but I basically failed in its goal with only ten minutes in Sweet Spot instead of 80…although I have hit the TSS target.

Now I’m not sure what to do…should I?

1. associate the outdoor ride with Windermere despite it being nothing like the description

2. Don’t associate it with anything

3. Associate it with a different workout that is more similar to the power profile

I’d associate it with Windermere. To me this is part and parcel of their acknowledgement that the quality of outdoor workouts will never be as high as indoor. You still tried and 21 mins tempo + 10 mins SS + 10 mins threshold is a benchmark you should compare to next time you do it. Chances are you also learned some tips to smooth out spikes that led to lots of time in vo2 max and anaerobic (presumably caused by terrain?).

I did Lockyers, 5x3 min @ high vo2 max (the target they gave me was 361), and ended up:

4 min threshold + 5 min vo2 + 6 min anaerobic. Now I know what I can improve next time!

2 Likes

Cheers.

My ride hasn’t associated itself with the outdoor workout. Do you mark the outdoor workout complete or use the “match” feature in the Strava synched workout?

So when I have selected do outside and saved that before my outdoor ride uploads, it automatically associated it. When I didn’t, I had to manually associate.

2 Likes

Did you do that by marking the workout complete, or using the old match feature?

When I clicked on the imported outdoor workout, there was the option to associate it with the plan’s outdoor workout. And then it looks something like this:

2 Likes

Did my first outside TR ride today. Made an otherwise basic spin down the bike trail much more fun but was pretty tough to try and hold the power targets on a mostly flat trail with lots of twists and turns.

I liked the interface on my Garmin Edge 520, but it was using 3sec power as my target and with all the twists and turns I kept going in and out of the target power range. My Garmin pretty much beeped at me the whole ride.

Can I change it to 10sec power? I couldn’t find a way on the Garmin and have been searching the web and haven’t found a way to do it. Are we stuck using 3sec power when doing a power based workout?

3s power is likely to be too erratic even on the road. For workouts/intervals, I have 10s power and Avg Lap Power, lap time, HR, and cadence displayed. Hit lap when the interval starts, the goal being to keep the Avg Lap Power at interval target power. The 10s will be less erratic than the 3s. Use the 10s to help you try to keep yourself in the ballpark of the target power. Do not panic or overcompensate when the the Avg Lap Power is +/- target power. After you do this a few times, you will have a feel for how to compensate and adjust power output, even for short intervals.

Edit:
Garmin 520 - Online Manual

You want:
Power - 10s Avg.
The 10-second moving average of power output.

1 Like

It is a while since I did intervals outside using my 520, but I found it better to have the screen set to my own screen with the average lap power, lap time, cadence etc…, rather than having it on the workout screen. The instructions still popped up on the screen. Also used notes and loosened the interval target to avoid more power, less power messages

2 Likes