Outside Workout Testers

It works into their core competences - training plans, workout definition to fill the plans, and integration with ANT+ and BLE devices.

1 Like

Yes - 20 min outside FTP test. Something people not new to structured training have been doing for a long time.

That’s genius! Glad we have on on board :wink:

The TR app doesn’t suggest an alternative in the outdoors beta when you have the Ramp Test on your plan I think was the point earlier :slight_smile:

Correct. Just make your own.

Personally I see value in continuing to do the ramp test on the trainer. And then longer threshold work (or races) outside will help reconfirm ftp from the ramp.

1 Like

Yeah the Ramp Test is excellent. They put a lot of work into it for a reason, people just don’t enjoy the 20 min effort. Harder to pace etc.

I actually prefer just going full gas on a hilly 20 mile route I have here than do the regular 20 min test. Ramp Test is excellent though, major kudos on that.

2 Likes

I was just answering the person’s question about an outside alternative to the ftp ramp test. I have no horse in the game. But, when I test, I do it outside if the weather permits. If not, inside ramp test works.

1 Like

@bbarrera I tried to set up my watt zones yesterday and blooming GC wouldn’t let me. Some error it wanted me to fix but wouldn’t tell me what the error was :frowning:

Update: after seeing your post I decided to try it through the app rather than through the web version. Worked just fine on the app. All for nought though as the 30% of showers in the morning has now become rain all day :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Welcome to Garmin - where the same data is visible and can be modified in 3 different places, but will only sync if you find the right one to change.

4 Likes

Nor do I, just saying the ramp test is actually pretty good at estimating 5-min max aerobic power. And if your aerobic fitness is good, will probably deliver a good ftp estimate.

For outside “testing” I do a handful of 10 mile time trials on my road bike (no special aero anything). Those are around 28 minute efforts for me, pretty good at confirming ftp estimates from indoor protocols (ramp or 8-min or 20-min).

I’m also going to start trying the TrainingPeaks TTE test protocol because last month I gave WKO4 another trial and ended up buying (love it). Want to keep feeding their model with good data.

Yay for the app! Boo for the weather! Hoping the :cloud_with_rain: turns to :sun_with_face: soon!

I’m sure that can happen, but never seen that myself. For the workout screenshots above, several times I switched editing from app to web and then back to app and it worked seamlessly.

Connect web app settings have frequently overriden those done directly on the device or on the Connect mobile app. At some point there were actually 2 different versions of the web app, one at connect.garmin.com, the other reached through Garmin Express, and they had different capabilities and different sync priorities.

1 Like

+1

I haven’t been this year, and in previous years I’ve proven a higher FTP. Must check when and where the next few TTs are…

I did not know you could nest loops. The amount of time I spent setting up run workouts last summer…

/me shakes head

1 Like

Today was another Sweet Spot workout - 4x18mins with those 60 sec breaks within the intervals.

I just totally scrapped the entire thing and worked to the hill durations in the area I was in so did 15min, 16min and 10min. Sometimes because of wind and terrain it can take a long time to get back to the base of a particular hill to do repeats making the recovery times too long so I had to think on my feet a bit and scrap that idea using the flats when appropriate. Increased the power a bit for the shorter interval to compensate. Total time at sweet spot was definitely shorter than prescribed though.

Tomorrow is endurance with what would be Andrews 1hr 30 inside but changes to Mica 2hr 30 outside. Really like that they’ve made that longer outdoors. Thumbs up.

Yeah, I typically just set up the interval times and then in the “Notes” put the targets verbally so I know what I should be shooting for but don’t have the computer yelling at me when I deviate from it.

1 Like

If you use the custom power zones, do those workouts scale to FTP? Or do you have to redo them over and over again when your FTP changes?

One time setup of zone % in Garmin Connect.

Then any ftp changes only require you to update Functional Threshold Power:
https://www.trainerroad.com/forumuploads/short-url/1e69F9WJUaI3pZgWr9v6z6kR18t.png

For example if I ramp test next week at 245, then all I have to do is launch Garmin Connect (mobile or web) and update FTP from 233 to 245. And then sync with Edge 520.

1 Like

That I get. I am actually trying to use this for something other than an outside workout. I want to set up my raceday warmup (which I do on a trainer) so I don’t have to fiddle around with my phone. But for that, I need more precise power targets than the zones. My question is whether custom power zones as a target in the workout creator also scale or if they’re static.

Using step “type” to differentiate intervals from recovery makes it easier to follow the workout on the bike (or running).

I believe (unfortunately), that custom power zones are static ranges (e.g. 250-265W). I’ve only been able to use % with zones in Garmin Connect workout creator.

1 Like