Outside Foot Hot Spot

Looking for some advice if others have had the same issue and how you have solved your problem. Most of what I’ve seen online is pain at the 5th metatarsal head.

For a almost a couple of years now, I’ve been dealing with a foot hot spot on the outside of my right foot after the 5th metatarsal head towards the heel (metatarsal shaft?). For the life of me, I cannot get rid of this hot spot. I had been a triathlete but turned cyclist since I couldnt sit in aero position on a saddle without my underside and legs going numb. Never had a problem with the feet though, or at least I thought lol.

Long story short, I can cycle just fine on a road bike without numbness but now I have foot problems. I initially used the Triathlon shoes but was getting a hot spot on the outside of my foot. So I bought the same brand and same size (Specialized Torch 3.0 in a 42) in a road shoe thinking it was that my 10yr old tri shoes were simply worn out. Now to cut all the reading down here’s what I’ve done over the year(s) with no real results. Looking to the community for some advice before I hang up the shoes.

• 2x’s Bike Fit with different Fitters
  • New Shoes (1x’s based on Fit Recommendations) Shimano Sphyre
  • New Shoes (Based on Internet Reviews and Local Bike Shop Testimonials) Lake CX238 Wide
  • In shoe Wedges (Specialized BG Varus +1.5mm) 1 and 2 wedges tried in same shoe (All 3 brands Tri/Shimano/Lake)
  • Specialized (Blue) Body Geometry Insoles w/ 0, 1 and 2 wedges in one shoe (All 3 brands Tri/Shimano/Lake)
  • Bike fit Cleat Wedge 1 degree on Right foot. w/ 0, 1 and 2 wedges in one shoe (All 3 brands Tri/Shimano/Lake)
  • Bike fit Cleat Wedge 1 degree on Right foot w Specialized BG insoles. w/ 0, 1 and 2 wedges in one shoe (All 3 brands Tri/Shimano/Lake)
    -add all of the above with moving cleats in/out & fore/aft

I dont have any foot problems otherwise. I can walk, run and lift just fine without pain in business/casual/trainers.

Can cycling shoes be too wide?
Thoughts on what to do next?

You ever figure out a resolution to this problem?

I dealt with something similar for almost 18 months. I tried in-shoe wedges, cleat wedges, changed to different shoes, different shoe insoles, changed cleat position innumerable times. What finally worked for me was lowering the saddle height.

1 Like

I also have problems with lateral foot pain after 2-3hrs and it can be so painfully…
The truth is that I have really wide feet but I tried everything bit still happens…

I’m fitted and have Lake wide shoes.

I was having uncomfortable feet that would set in after 2-3 hours of riding and then not go away.

I finally figured out that I need to start rides with my shoes on the loose side. I might even loosen them again after an hour or two of riding. So basically, I just have to keep ahead of the natural foot swelling that happens. It seems that if I keep ahead of it, I don’t get the discomfort.

Same.

Started out with hot spots, realized shoes were too small, got Sidi Mega (extra wide) shoes and made sure they weren’t too tight. Had no issues for years.

Then began feeling the hotspots again when I tightened up the shoes before races. Got really bad during a 2 hour race. Corrected that at the next race and the problem went away again.

please also ensure that saddle height is not too high.

1 Like

Can you explain that?