Looking for some advice if others have had the same issue and how you have solved your problem. Most of what I’ve seen online is pain at the 5th metatarsal head.
For a almost a couple of years now, I’ve been dealing with a foot hot spot on the outside of my right foot after the 5th metatarsal head towards the heel (metatarsal shaft?). For the life of me, I cannot get rid of this hot spot. I had been a triathlete but turned cyclist since I couldnt sit in aero position on a saddle without my underside and legs going numb. Never had a problem with the feet though, or at least I thought lol.
Long story short, I can cycle just fine on a road bike without numbness but now I have foot problems. I initially used the Triathlon shoes but was getting a hot spot on the outside of my foot. So I bought the same brand and same size (Specialized Torch 3.0 in a 42) in a road shoe thinking it was that my 10yr old tri shoes were simply worn out. Now to cut all the reading down here’s what I’ve done over the year(s) with no real results. Looking to the community for some advice before I hang up the shoes.
- 2x’s Bike Fit with different Fitters
- New Shoes (1x’s based on Fit Recommendations) Shimano Sphyre
- New Shoes (Based on Internet Reviews and Local Bike Shop Testimonials) Lake CX238 Wide
- In shoe Wedges (Specialized BG Varus +1.5mm) 1 and 2 wedges tried in same shoe (All 3 brands Tri/Shimano/Lake)
- Specialized (Blue) Body Geometry Insoles w/ 0, 1 and 2 wedges in one shoe (All 3 brands Tri/Shimano/Lake)
- Bike fit Cleat Wedge 1 degree on Right foot. w/ 0, 1 and 2 wedges in one shoe (All 3 brands Tri/Shimano/Lake)
- Bike fit Cleat Wedge 1 degree on Right foot w Specialized BG insoles. w/ 0, 1 and 2 wedges in one shoe (All 3 brands Tri/Shimano/Lake)
-add all of the above with moving cleats in/out & fore/aft
I dont have any foot problems otherwise. I can walk, run and lift just fine without pain in business/casual/trainers.
Can cycling shoes be too wide?
Thoughts on what to do next?