Outdoor workout Garmin Edge 520 interval power display

Hey all!

Does anyone know if there is a way to have a Garmin Edge 520 display current or 3 sec average power on the default workout lap screen when executing an outdoor workout (the one with the colored slider and time to go displayed)?
Currently it displays average power, which I don’t find to be very helpful real-time during the interval. As a matter of fact, I know that the guys have said on several occasions on the podcast that the best think to do is look at live or 3 sec average power, as opposed to chasing an lap average power number. I totally agree with this, as this becomes more and more difficult with longer and longer intervals (like longer sweet spot intervals).

Thanks for any tips!

TR recommend using a customised TR workout screen, and not the garmin one with the colour bar. It’s in the outdoor workouts introduction.
I had the same issue that the colour bar screen displays average power, which is pretty much impossible to use for above-threshold intervalls. Switched to the recommended TR screen and it’s much better, even though you don’t get the colour bar.

2 Likes

I think the best solution (I’m in the same boat) is to create a custom data field page dedicated to your interval with the following fields:

Lap time
3 second power
NP lap
Cadence
HR

Then go old school and memorize your interval structure. This is better than trying to maintain an avg power, especially since the 520 WO screen only shows your avg power. I’ve been digging around a way to edit workout screen on the 520, I don’t think it’s possible.

Please let me know if I’m wrong!

I think changing NP Lap to target interval power (in the indoor workout section I think) gives a better screen. Found that tip on a TR page somewhere

I’m not sure there’s an option for that on the 520. I’ll definitely look when I can, certainly a better option than NP Lap

100%. I’ve got the 520 (not plus) and it’s there. Made the session much easier to follow!

I had previously found it a ball ache switching between screens to see target power. Only annoyance now is knowing when to hit the lap button but after a few attempts outdoors I think I’m familiar with that all now

1 Like

Wow thanks! I didn’t scroll enough in either case. Can’t wait to try it, thanks again!

Quick question, I know that with a Garmin head unit you do the warm up until you hit lap and then the first interval starts, my assumption is that at the end of the interval the screen will then auto change into the rest interval data? Is that correct?
Then what happens, does the rest interval remain as the rest interval until you hit the lap button again?
Haven’t done an outdoor workout before.
Thanks

It depends on the rest interval. Shorter ones, like in 30/30s, will automatically move to the next work interval, but longer ones will wait for you to press lap.

Great thanks, yes I saw about the very short ‘multi micro rest’ type, what I’m doing tomorrow they are longer.