Optimal Body Composition, Breakaway Teamwork, Heartburn and much more – Ask a Cycling Coach 231

@chad Annies salad dressing is a much easier and tastier to get your apple cider vinegar.

https://www.annies.com/products/dressings

I rarely get heartburn, but when I do, I will also down a shot of apple cider vinegar. Go to 2:38 of this video on why it works for heartburn.

Couldn’t understand the acronyms coach chad was using during the discussion on heartburn, why do they all have E in when Oesophagus starts with an O? Then I remembered you freedom loving individuals can’t spell correctly.

1 Like

Here is the thread for the polls mentioned at the conclusion of this episode:

Finally trying to take much of the nutritional advice on the podcasts. Started with recovery shakes at the weekend, today was day one of fuelling morning workouts.

I had my carb drink driving in, Carson completed super easy as per @Jonathan on the podcast, I was convinced the calibration was out, or my most recent ramp test was funky. I had previously relied on stored glycogen (eating carbs in the evening to fuel), but it did seem to make a difference.

Next up will be straight to the pain cave for over and unders rather than the 45 minute, so I don’t think the drink will work. I’ve a few (past best before) gels, which I guess I’ll neck on waking - use them up, and then move to honey or maple syrup.

AGREE
I have had “eating is cheating” leveled at me lately on my local Saturday bike ride. Not cool! I am not skinny I weigh 85kg or 187lbs at 184cm or 6ft I am on the chunkier side.
Why the obsession with watt per kilogram?

Because people don’t race much anymore. If you actually race, you’ll notice quickly that most races are pretty flat, and skill and absolute power are more important than your weight. Also you can brag about your race results and how good you are as a rider. But if you don’t race, you need something else to show off, so you focus on metrics like W/kg.

There is probably also an aspect of people coming into cycling to lose weight and improve fitness, and the W/kg is a good marker to track both.

The ‘eating is cheating’ thing tho probably comes from outdated training advice for pro level riders.

1 Like

The body composition put me at ease. I’m feeling like I’m struggling to get any leaner despite having a rough burn of about 4500kcal most training days (lifting 5 times a week along with ssb1). I am aware that maybe I could eat a lot cleaner to make my caloric goals but then the amount of food I need to consume gets to be insane.

On the whole though I’ve just accepted that really a long term goal for me is going to have to be a 400W FTP to be super competitive as there is no chance I’m ever going to be under 80KG and feel good about it

When discussing race tactics in this episode, Chad mentioned a story about an auto race in the rain that was won by the only driver who appropriately drove the “wet line” or “rain line”. Nate asked what that was and it wasn’t really explained, so wanted to chime in.

As most know, on any race track there’s an optimal line through the corners, depending on the geometry and layout of the turns. (And slightly dependent on the power and handling characteristics of the car.) Over the years, a line of rubber will be laid down on this line as it scrubs off of the tires. This actually makes the track more sticky… but only in the dry. In the wet, the rubber gets very slick. So when wet, you’ll get more traction, and therefore be faster around the track, if you avoid that rubber on the dry line.

The other aspect of the wet line is that when traction is reduced due to the track being wet, straight line traction suffers less than cornering traction. To take advantage of this, drivers will do more braking and accelerating in a straight line, and less braking/accelerating while turning. This changes the line as well.

2 Likes

This actually tastes good:
1 tbsp ACV @chad
1 tbsp Tart Cherry juice @Nate_Pearson
1 can of carbonated water (or sodastream)
Serve on ice!

Sounds like my experience at Mid-Ohio!

1 Like

Apple cider vinegar is a typical base for shrub.

Shrub plus soda water is delicious.

1 Like

Was talking to my partner (a GP) about GERD and she told me I meant GORD. Took us a little while to work out that yeah, yanks can’t spell (or measure distance!) correctly :grin:

1 Like

One cause of reflux during exercise may be due to improper breathing patterns. When you take a breath in, the diaphragm contracts and pulls down (toward the central tendon) in order to pull air into the lungs. As a result of the diaphragm pulling down against the abdominal contents (guts), the belly should EXPAND all the way around during inhalation. But for far too long, every trainer under the sun told their clients to “pull their belly button toward the spine” to “turn on the abs.” This has created a scenario where many people suck their belly in when they try to breath, essentially reversing the pattern. This sucking-in limits the contraction of the diaphragm and creates upward pressure against the stomach, forcing acid and stomach contents back up into the esophagus.

If you look at the picture, you’ll see there is a section of muscle fibers in the diaphragm that loops around the esophagus. They’ve shown (Eherer 2012, Bittnar 2015) that when you train proper abdominal/diaphragmatic breathing (belly expansion during inhalation), the contraction of this loop of muscle fiber in the diaphragm helps to close the cardiac sphincter (between the esophagus and stomach) during inhalation and prevents the reflux of stomach acid up into the esophagus. Proper abdominal breathing helps to create stability (the diaphragm is part of the core!) which helps us put out more power too.

Here’s a video that shows what abdominal breathing should look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCF5Jl4y1yU&list=PL4qucIlemahvGULKnd-Emr7vzmXneTz_U&index=10

I realize I’m late to the discussion here but I was catching up on podcasts on a long drive the other day and wanted to add this to the possibilities of why this user was getting reflux during exercises, in addition to the other causes Chad talked about.