Nutrition recommendation (carb grams/hour) by event duration...just for reference

Shamelessly stolen from one of Asker’s presentations…because I think it’s a great reference & summarizes a lot of key points.

10 Likes

good idea.

1 Like

Dr Alex may chime in but his app Saturday works well for this sort of thing

take a look.

2 Likes

Where is the 90-120g/hr for a 1-hour trainer ride? :crazy_face:

8 Likes

Oh my gosh. Somebody lock the fridge, @WindWarrior is on the trainer.

2 Likes

Off the bike I eat a relatively carb rich diet - about 6g/kg of lean body mass (not actual weight, lean mass). Those recommendations work really well for me at a 270-280W ftp.

However things would be different if I had a 350-400W ftp, or wasn’t winning in the kitchen.

Can’t remember if it was Tim Podlogar or someone else that hypothesized that eating a carb rich diet is a great way to train the gut - and I have no issues at 90g/hr or 120g/hr with no special training.

Interesting, I’m at 4.7g/kg total (on and off bike) I’m gradually getting off the carb train and so far so good.

30 grams per hour sufficient for 1-2 hours

2 Likes

Consuming a diet with a lot of fructose causes morphological changes to the gut. The villi in particular actually get longer/have more surface area. Quite a bit more, actually. Almost 50% more surface area in some cases.

So there is that.

2 Likes

That’s fructose.

If your body works best with fewer carbs, ok. But let’s just stop it already with the fear-mongering on carbs. You are not going to get type II diabetes from eating a fruit, veggie, oatmeal, potato, squash, lentil, bean-rich diet.

Same if you’re consuming sugar during intense or long exercise.

No one here is advising anyone to drink corn syrup laden sodas and sports drinks all day while being sedentary.

6 Likes

“Carb fear mongering” seems to be the current “in thing”. It’s been everywhere lately.

3 Likes

Interesting, i have a similar-ish FTP 260 but if im not at around 8g/kg i’m losing weight like it going out of fashion. Guess that’s cause my overall weight is low. This is where the daily grams per kg fail IMO!

Just to be clear, I don’t think increasing the surface area of villus so I can absorb more grams of glucose/fructose per unit time is ‘fear mongering’. I think it’s ‘incredibly useful information’.

Now, among the sedentary, maybe it should generate fear, I don’t know. But as a person who has consumed nothing but 100 grams of straight glucose,fructose every hour for >25 hours straight…many times…it’s not anything to be afraid of.

And it didn’t make me obese.

1 Like

I thought so too.

All you eat is carbs? :rofl: Just kidding and for context I do a lot of endurance riding and it seems I don’t need much more than 6g/kg. Because I’m carrying extra weight, I estimate lean mass using my weight in high school senior year because I was done growing by then but thin as a rail. Pad that number as I’ve added muscle mass as an adult. Right now my actual weight is 25% higher than that estimate, sorry I’m not posting numbers because it’s sobering!!!

Anyways, by slightly restricting overall calories I’ve lost close to a pound a week for the last six weeks. But not impacted workout performance.

Haha if only that were the case, possibly average 3-3.5g Protein per kg and a normal amount of fat to meet my needs. Plus only train max 12-14h a week!

1 Like

well there you go, I’ve had some stuff going on in personal life and during this six week weight loss timeframe I’ve only averaged 7.5 hours/week and 5100kJ/week (and push that to 5500kJ/week average if I knock down the workouts for today and tomorrow).

1 Like

OK, I took this the wrong way and apologize. You were interpreting that research showing promise that you can “train the gut” in the context of being an ultra-endurance athlete. The authors were more interested in explaining increasing rates of obesity and originally, tumor growth.

I just saw “study on highly processed fructose and obesity and cancer bad bad” juxtaposed with discussion on “carb-rich diet” and saw red because the two are not necessarily the same, and mentioning them together causes a lot of confusion and promotes harmful diet myths.

2 Likes