Nordic Skiing vs Base Training

Thanks for your insight it nice to hear from someone with previous experience. I just didnt want divert to far away from my cycling goals.

1 Like

Nordic / ski touring is way funnier than winter Z2 rides at 5 to 0Ā°C. So for me I only ride if there isnā€™t snow available.

Plus, none of my friends ride on the road at winter, theyā€™ll rather chose ski or MTB, this last is another option.
But way better to share time with people and learn another sport than ride like a lonely wolf, putting all the eggs in one basket, itā€™s better for specificity and performance but who cares, you can fall, or get destroyed by covid and then all of that effort is worth nothing (happened me this year, luckly I spent most of my winter skiing the Pyrenees)

1 Like

@Matthew_Taylor did you go for it? If so please let us know how it works out for you. I just hired xc ski equipment for my kids for the coming season so Iā€™m looking forward to the snow coming, although Iā€™m not looking forward to the heating bills!

1 Like

Sadly for me one thing led to another and I eventaully turned it down in favor of a cycling goal I wanted to hit for a long time.

1 Like

I donā€™t do much XC skiing anymore, but I do have a split board and skin up about 1.5 miles every morning up the ski resort before work plus weekend tours once we get more snow.

i think Iā€™ll keep the zwift/TR workouts as SS/vo2 over the winter with some long rides here and there. The z2 skins 70 mins have been so nice.

And then Z5 on the hills!

I know this is an old thread but I just started coaching the high school XC ski team. I will certainly lose some base fitness (goodbye daily Z2 rides) but last season I trained really well over the winter and peaked on the bike way too early. Skiing a lot is a good way to prevent that!

nah I donā€™t think it will throw you back 4 weeks. Sure, volume is important, but so is longevity. A break from the trainer in the UK winter sounds amazing. I used to do Nov-Feb indoors during the week and itā€™s just LOOOONG. Iā€™d do the skiing, itā€™s incredible aerobic work. And itā€™s only 4 weeks, not 4 months!

Good luck, and enjoy the trip!

1 Like

I understand goals change with circumstances. One canā€™t do everything and consequently one has to prioritise. However, I hope you find the opportunity to try xc skiing one day. Right now we have unusually good conditions for pre-Christmas and lots of Alpine Nordic centres have managed to open. Good luck for all your sporting goals, both in and off the bike.

1 Like