No longer able to afford TR

Why not? I see threads on here discussing many areas of life.

10 Likes

Does Trainer Day have an app to control the trainer? And how does it compare to TR in usability? I’ve gotten so used to TR’s app interface and ease of use that it’s hard to imagine trying something else. But I too am having a difficult time affording TR at its current price so looking at other options for the winter.

1 Like

If you like the TR interface, I would say TD is very similar though not as well polished. The custom workout creator is web-based and you can create entire plans from existing community workouts, your own, or a combination, and push them to TP etc or run them directly from the app. They just released a calendar which looks like drag and drop which was missing until now. No analysis features but I use intervals.icu for that.

I will be moving once my annual sub is up as I don’t like the TR plans and am basically using it as an expensive TD but with no web based workout creator it’s actually worse!

3 Likes

Can Trainerday be linked to Training Peaks and pull my workouts in from TP?

To what end?

I know you can push plans to TD from TP, e.g. workout of the day. There is an option for ‘calendar sync’ with TP but since I am not paying for it at the moment and I’m not a TP premium user I cannot test whether this is bi- or uni-directional

TrainerDay is extremely ‘familiar’ for those who are accustomed to the TrainerRoad UI. For the most part, you can be ‘up and running’ in a matter of minutes.

The difference between the two platforms is mostly in their philosophy of training, not the way they ERG control a trainer or display information during a workout.

3 Likes

greetings from Hungary! :joy: :sob:

6 Likes

I believe so, in the paid version ($3.99 a month) there is a option on the Trainingpeaks connection for WOD (workout of the day) which pulls the trainingpeaks wod into the mobile app (I’ve not used it though, always go the other way around)

1 Like

In short, there are a few topics considered “off limits” in the TR forum. Politics & religion are key ones that are not allowed here. They become divisive more often than not and are to be avoided as a result.

If you have further interest in discussion what is and is not allowed, I’d direct you to Ivy Audrain for the official TR response.

8 Likes

Sure, and to right as this a cycling forum … but, in the following quote, the conversation is currency convertion because TR only charges in USD, which increases the already high price for TR in none US countries, surely that keeps in in context doesn’t it

5 Likes

Absolutely. This isn’t a political discussion it’s a financial discussion.

10 Likes
  • Right, but the opening post had clearly pointed political wording towards one party in particular. It’s been edited and removed (as a direct response to this discussion), which is a good thing.
  • I get your overall goal here, but the original slight that you included in your OP (which you removed while I was writing this comment) was out of line and was unneeded to make your case on pricing. Thanks for removing that content and sticking to the core topic here.
9 Likes

Absolutely. When i read your post regarding the non use of politics i immeditaly removed it so we are good now with this thread discussing finances and the incredibly high cost to non US TR users.

4 Likes

At the risk of over-moderation, can we keep this topic to pricing of TR and move discussion of TrainerDay or any other training app options to a separate topic(s)?

• It’s great to have discussion on all of the various alternatives, but it needs to be in a dedicated topic about that, not mixed in with pricing discussion. That’s especially necessary when diving into functionality, use and the like that are not at all pricing related.
6 Likes

Spot on.

As a non US TR-user, I can fully relate. I started using TR in march 2021 at a monthly price of 16,79 EUR. This month I payed 20,46 EUR…

This means an increase in the monthly price for TR-users who have to pay in EURO of a whopping 21,86% in a period of 18 months.

I still believe that TR is worth the price. Beats paying a coach. But still, such an increase is way above a normal inflation rate.

2 Likes

The current exchange rate must make snacks really popular :-p

Now that comment needs to be removed :wink:

@enki42

1 Like

Pruning the subscription tree can be painful but you can continue to train quite well for free with a little work. 3 years on TR should have given you enough knowledge to come up with workouts and the ability to string them together into a decent program. A Garmin or Wahoo can drive erg mode on a smart trainer. And there is always the tried and true workout written on athletic tape stuck on your stem. And training outside is still free :wink:

Training subscriptions make life easier and can add that extra kick to your program but you can go very far going DIY for free.

8 Likes

Yeah… So my $12/mo which Nate promised to maintain for legacy users has still gone up a lot :slight_smile:

I joined late 2016 and I think that was equivalent to ~£9.60 then, but £11.60 today… So a nearly 21% increase, despite the actual dollar price being frozen!

To be honest though it was as high as $1.40 to the pound just last year, so I actually think for the majority of the time I have had TR I have been paying less than £9.60 (that’s $1.25).

Either way I still think it represents value.

5 Likes