New 'Zwift Ride' Smart Frame (June 12, 2024)

The bottle tossing at the end was weirdly hypnotic, like a snarky ASMR video.

2 Likes

Still mulling this all over, but the price is impressive and one initial thought is that this might have just killed the “smart bike” of old. Stuff like the Wahoo Climb function and silent, maintenance-free belt drive on those smart bikes are still notable things absent here.

This seems to do the adjustment aspect as good or better, while also avoiding the leg clearance issues seen on several bikes. Might be other stuff to consider, but this seems like a whole lot of good for the money even when compared to something like the Kickr Bike Shift as the best lower price one I know.

I wish they would have either done the rear triangle with a split, or done an elevate chainstay (one or both sides) to make belt use an option. Perhaps there’s still a way to hack it with swapping some parts and using the same up and through chainline, but I am not familiar enough with belt use to know if that path is possible vs the typical pulley to pulley route.

6 Likes

That was the one comment a friend of mine just had (not a cyclist). Does seem like for the whole kit this is a missed opportunity. I can see it not being an option on just the frame for people upgrading an existing trainer. Maybe future upgrade?

I dig it, price guesstimates for just frame seems reasonable. I would be interested if I used zwift and had a compatible trainer. Would also need aero bars, listened to lama/dc videos but didn’t catch if that was something that would fit. EDIT: just rewound lama video, bars can be swapped… neat.

how long until we see someone slap a wheel on the back and mount a caster on the front to try and ride this outside?

4 Likes

When I saw the initial announcement I kind of blew it off as over the top. But now the idea is growing on me. Especially once Zwift makes the Smart Frame available as a separate purchase.

Based on the $1300 USD pricing and the fact the Kickr Core goes for ~$500-600 I imagine the frame itself will go for around $500-600? Assuming it comes with a Zwift cog and chain that isn’t bad. If you are in a market for a smart bike or just want to spare your outdoor bikes of the wear and tear of indoor riding this is compelling. I am definitely staying tuned.

3 Likes

if trainerroad adds zwift cog functionality I’m in. that and saris needs to update the firmware for compatibility as well but that seems likely at some point

• Never. Without physical steering, it would last about 5 feet max before they fall over :stuck_out_tongue:
4 Likes

Now the real question for those who are getting one: are you waxing your chain?!

4 Likes

I’m very pleasantly surprised at the pricing. My only “wants” would be:

• Split stay as @mcneese.chad indicated to allow the use of a belt drive (or better, come with a belt drive as standard to remove needing to lube the chain and reduce noise)
  • Someway to be able to use this with the InsideRide E-Flex
  • Similar Kickr - not the Core - bundle
  • Ability to “shift” with any app, not just Zwift
7 Likes

I’ve thought about it… but waxed chains are a mess indoors after the fresh dipping. There’s also not a lot indoors to contaminate the chain, so I haven’t bothered.

5 Likes

I don’t think I’m the target market for this, but I kinda dig it. If I could get the standalone frame and the cog to put on my existing Kickr, I’d get one just so I can share it with my spouse (even though it’d mean having to sell my Kickr Climb). Hell, I wish I could get that handlebar setup on its own to put on my trainer bike, it’s kinda neat.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Belt drive paired with a Kickr v6 I’d pick up one for this winter without a second thought.

6 Likes

I totally get why Zwift ditched physical steering, but that is a bit of a killer for my preferences. I am an outlier here, but love the motion I get from a free steering input. I used a swivel plate even on my old rocker plate when it didn’t really do anything. But with the E-Flex, it is directly connection to the motion and I would miss that greatly.

So not a solution for my taste, but this will likely be great for the vast majority of users. It will still work well on a typical rocker plate so people can get lean & fore-aft via the regular rocker designs.

1 Like

Got to do it for the content and memes now!

And am I the only one who waxes their chain on their dedicated indoor bike? I usually lay down several Hefty bags flat under the drivetrain after a waxing for a few rides to catch all the stuff that flakes off.

1 Like
  • Insert aintnobodygottimefordat meme.

I just run the wet Silca lube with a wipe and reapply about 1x per month on our indoor bikes. Minimal hassle and I fail to see enough benefit to waxing in this use case to justify the wax associated work.

5 Likes

The other big limiter I see as of now for this taking over smart bikes is the virtual shifting. I get why it is that way, but smart bikes all offer open app & shifting use, so that may be an issue unless opens it up down the road.

The minor issue on single-length crank on the Zwift frame is a potential limiter too, but that may be addressed by Zwift or add-ons in the future.

1 Like

My process is a combination of using the Silca Hot Wax every ~1000 miles and the Silca Wax Chain Lube every ~~200 miles or so.

More or less comes out to reapplying the wax lube every 1-2 weeks and dipping in the hot wax every 1-2 months depending on miles rode.

Doesn’t mean some dyot won’t try it for the clicks… :crazy_face:

5 Likes

I’d disagree, mostly because

That’s a huge selling point to me. Otherwise the price is great, it looks good. But man, the chain drive is a big con after getting used to silence and no maintenance.

7 Likes

I do wish they had done something to easily allow belt. Split frame does add cost and complexity. Elevated stay is essentially free but I can understand the cosmetic aspect at the very least.

Just starting some research, but one (rather costly option) does exist for split belt and normal belt path

Here’s hoping that @GPLama might take the plunge if we find some decent option that isn’t overly expensive or difficult :wink:

2 Likes

I think another underrated plus, for me, is the aesthetic: it looks like a nice aero bike on a trainer. That definitely helps with the immersion factor and whole “look good, feel good” dynamic.

A lot of the top smart bikes look like spin bikes and or something that doesn’t really resemble a road bike.

3 Likes