New Shimano Di2 Dura-Ace R9200 & Ultegra R8100

Congrats because the clutch is gold IMHO. Had to look it up - RX 805 Di2. Not offered on the Di2 Roubaix model above yours (uses 8050 if I read it correctly). And definitely not offered on Tarmac, not that I actually had a choice when desperate for a bike LOL.

2 Likes

I’m pretty disappointed. It feels like a 12 speed etap.

I was expecting full wireless with integrated batter that I can charge like the Assiomas.

I was expecting Bluetooth connection to an app on my phone to do mode changes, adjustments, indexing, firmware updates.

The R9250 rear derailleur can pair directly via Bluetooth with Shimano’s E-Tube app on a phone or tablet, for example, allowing for customisation of the groupset from the off.

Per:

Sounds like what you want is already covered (including firmware like the current Di2 wireless setup can do, and the new setup should offer completely stock).

• Once this is installed, you simply charge via the port on the rear derailleur. How is that much different than connecting a charge cable to the pod(s) for the Assioma pedals?
2 Likes

Why would that be disappointing? For a 2x road application, I think the two are now on par, save for possibly the power meter story. (SRAM has it nailed with its Quark power meters.) That means you can choose your road bike 2x group set solely according to your preferences (e. g. hood shape, availability, etc.). Only when you want wider range and/or 1x is Shimano behind IMHO.

I don’t see anywhere on a fast skim of the article where they talk about Bluetooth control with an app.

The battery thing is because some TSA security guy is gonna go through the bike to remove that battery. If it’s included in the derailleur, I can remove it and put it in my duffle bag to take in the plane.

1 Like

It’s disappointing because there is 0 reason to upgrade to this from an 11s etap or di2

1 Like

Well eTap is slow as hell compared to DI2 so there’s always that.

11s vs 12s is all about additional gearing options. This is important to some people. Perhaps not to you.

From BikeRumor:

Using the newest version of the E-Tube smartphone app, you’ll also be able to customize your shifting set up. That includes toggling between synchronized (front derailleur shifts automatically to keep in the ideal gear range) or semi-synchro shifting modes, adjusting multi-shift settings, setting shifting speed, connecting with third party cycling computers, and customizing what each shifter button does—including the third button which is on top of the hood, operated by your thumb.

I was hoping for USB C so a little disappointed it appears to be some new proprietary connector.

1 Like

I feel that if it wasn’t already official, it’s definitely official now.

Cycling is now golf.

They want how much for a rear derailleur, for a bicycle?

They actually thought it was smart to put the brains of the operation in the rear derailleur, those never get broken… so obviously, it won’t matter that they then cost as much as a holiday. Wouldn’t have made more sense to add that complexity to the battery module or possibly the front derailleur. No, because those front derailleurs ‘always’ break in crashes…

4 Likes

I don’t think differences in shifting speed matter in practice, both are way more than good enough. (I reckon also Campagnolo’s EPS groupsets are fine, I just haven’t tested them, only their mechanical relatives.) I find that I simply adjust my timing when I actuate a shift. Besides, both are faster than Shimano’s mechanical shifters where the shift times are dominated by lever throw.

1 Like

I do get what you are saying that it’s possible to mentally compensate for the shifting delay. It’s certainly not the end of the world. I’ll happily ride an AXS bike. 90% of the time I have the mental wherewithal to compensate on the timing. But, every once in a while, I lose focus, and hit an uphill unexpectedly wanting to downshift the front derailleur instantly and eTAP don’t do that. It takes this moment to determine whether or not you did a single or double tap (to determine FD or RD) and THEN goes to make the movement. It…just…seems…slow. Even slower than mechanical but perhaps that’s just because I haven’t ridden mech in so long!

The delay between Di2 and AXS is substantial enough that I’d never purchase AXS again and would consider upgrading if it was running on my primary bike and understood how big the gap was via testing.

1 Like

Disclaimer: I have only tried AXS eTap 1x, so I have no clue about front derailleur shifting. I have heard complaints that it is not on par with Shimano, though. For rear shifts the difference is so small that it is not relevant for my riding. As I said before, I found that Shimano’s mechanical group sets have a ridiculous amount of lever throw, which adds quite a bit to your shift time. So at least rear shifts on my Force eTap AXS group set are faster than mechanical Ultegra/105 once all things are included.

I have tried Shimano Di2 Ultegra on several occasions, including on a 2-week loaner. It worked just fine. What I really hated was the shift ergonomics: the buttons were too small and even after 2 weeks, I still had lots of misshifts. Even though the button layout mimicked that of my mechanical Shimano drive train I had at the time, I just couldn’t get used to it. And because the loaner did not include the Bluetooth box, I couldn’t reprogram the buttons either. Perhaps my brain is wired in a weird way, none of the others that have made the switch around me mentioned any problems. :man_shrugging: Never had an issue with SRAM’s shift logic, I loved DoubleTap and love eTap even more, especially on a 1x. Dead simple, I have never missed a shift.

Just to bring this back: I don’t want to come across as a SRAM fanboy and Shimano hater. I love Shimano’s quality, I have never had to service any wheels with Shimano hubs or any of my Shimano pedals. I threw them away because they looked ratty after many years of use, but not because they stopped working. IMHO in many circumstances the decision between Shimano, SRAM and Campag should and can be made on things other than “features” — hood shape, commonality among components (e. g. if your mountain bike has Shimano brakes, you can re-use the bleed kit), availability, etc.

I went SRAM eTap because I preferred SRAM’s shift logic, wanted to go 1x12, needed the range only offered by SRAM on 1x, preferred the shape of SRAM’s shifters (controversial subject!) and because SRAM has a dead reliable first-party power meter solution. Shimano is (potentially) closing the gap in some areas, and I love that. And in other areas (quality control, shift speed) they may be ahead of the competition. That’ll push SRAM and Campag to go further, too, which gives us nicer gear no matter what manufacturer we choose.

2 Likes

SRAM AXS eTap front derailleur is a little slow, but I don’t do a lot of big-little shifting. But it is annoying. Both Force and Rival.

Rear derailleur shifting speed is plenty fast even under hard accelerations and sprints. With Ultegra I’ve had plenty of chain slap, and all of that is gone now with the clutch (this was mentioned in CyclingTips).

3 Likes

That makes sense. If I rode 1x the difference would prob not be enough to be a decision maker for me either. It’s really noticeable for me on the FD though and I am conditioned to move FD when I am using looking for immediate release or tension jump at similar cadence to where am currently pedaling.

With eTAP I am sometimes even just briefly pausing my pedaling for a second when switching FD so I know when to change the power I am pushing with my legs.

1 Like

In addition to chain/chainrings compatibility is the chainline. I checked this as I’d like to continue using my P2M…so the chainline on 12s is 1mm wider according to Shimano’s website (from 43.5 to 44.5mm), so I believe (but happy to be told otherwise) you’d need to put a 1mm shim on the drive side crank in order to have best possible front shifting.

2 Likes

Had exactly the same thought…I smashed a Di2 rear derailleur in two (literally) in a high speed crash two weeks after building the bike up :person_facepalming:t2:…that ‘only’ cost about 450$ to replace…

Hi! Does anyone know if I can use the new DA 12 speed cassette on my Red AXS bike and essentially swap the 10T SRAM cog for the 16T DA cog?

I gotta say, the biggest disappointment for me is the lack of backwards compatibility. I would have quickly upgraded the RD, FD, cassette, and battery to get 12s if they worked with the current gen of shifters (8000/9100), but no way I’m buying a complete grupo just for 12s, especially at these prices.

1 Like

Would be very cool. Are the old Di2 cables compatible? Can you just connect FD&RD to the old junction to make that work?

Local shop showing FD off

1 Like

Putting the brains in the FD eliminates any option to run a 1x system….while not officially endorsed by Shimano ( yet), this is likely why they did it in the RD.

1 Like