πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰ New Product Release! Updated Training Plans, Workout Levels, TrainNow Updates πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

I think this is a key point. The plan changes are heavily predicated on all-in use of ramp-test FTPs.

This year, I have my FTP set at my best demonstrated 1 hr power and am finding the plans suitably challenging in all zones and often bias up a little on VO2+ work as my 1 min power is disproportionately strong relative to threshold.

If I did a ramp test, I would absolutely get an inflated steady state FTP as always happened in the past and would have no ability to do an hour TT at that value. And in that scenario, I would then get crushed on longer work in build, and lowering the workout progression level would absolutely improve compliance and outcomes. This new plan proposal will definitely fix that problem. And since it’s a common problem for many TR users, and TR is all-in on the ramp test, I absolutely see the logic from their perspective.

However, a lot remains to convince many of us that we should:

1. Trust a FTP test that is sharply biased by high anaerobic power contributions and get a FTP that is badly inflated for steady state work and
  2. Start doing easier SS/threshold workouts with the inflated FTP and expect it to pay dividends for FTP.

Essentially, the conclusion seems to be that instead of doing something like a classic 2x20, you should do something like two sets of 3x5 at a higher power target that would be much lower on the workout progression scale than a 2x20, and less total β€œvolume” however you measure that.

Put more simply, the conclusion I would take away is that for longer intervals, reduce volume, increase intensity - with the increased intensity coming from the inflated FTP, in shorter interval workouts that would be too easy with your true long-form FTP. Interesting conclusion if it can be supported with data.

Many of the more experienced users on here have worked past relying on the ramp test, highly respected coaches like Kolie Moore have made compelling cases for doing so, and I suspect a significant majority of the people asking for the old plans to remain available are in that bucket as well. Given how hard it was to figure all of that out, such unplanned disruption with no AT to help simplify this convergence in workout selection leads to a significant backlash as seen in this thread.

It’ll be important to see data that goes beyond improving compliance to ramp-test derived FTP workouts and actually shows benefit over users that have set their FTP based on longer form tests that are generally more accepted among cycling coaches for users that have learned to pace appropriately.

10 Likes